Visiting South Siders fall short against Rockford Regents

Chicago baseball lost a close game to Rockford on Wednesday. Third-year Anthony DeRenzo pitched the whole game.

After a postponement due to inclement weather on Tuesday, Chicago (5–18) took the day off to rest up for Wednesday’s game at Rockford (13–11) under more agreeable weather conditions. Despite the break, the Maroons narrowly lost to the Regents 4–3.

After trailing by one run early in the game, the Maroons countered in the top of the second when fourth-year outfielder Ricky Troncelliti singled, advanced on an error. He then scored on a fielder’s choice when first-year pitcher Thomas Prescott grounded into a double play. Rockford answered shortly after in the third inning, scoring on a sacrifice fly, grabbing the 2–1 lead.

First-year infielder Ryan Krob displayed his versatility in the game, going 2-for-3 on the afternoon.  The second baseman totaled a sac bunt, a single, and a double—his fifth of the season.

“I got some fastballs early in the count that I was able to put some good swings on,” Krob said.

The visiting Maroons took their first lead in the sixth inning, when third-year outfielder Edward Akers hit a two-run single, but Chicago couldn’t hold onto this advantage, as Rockford evened up the score at three in the seventh with an RBI double.

Third-year Anthony DeRenzo pitched the entire contest for Chicago. However, the ninth inning didn’t start out too well, as the first two Rockford batters reached bases on errors, leaving DeRenzo to pitch with runners on the corners and no one out. The pressure was only intensified when it was strategically decided that DeRenzo would walk fourth-year Matt Szytz in order to face fourth-year Scott Swiderek instead.  The strategy of making a force at any base did not pay off, however, as Swiderek hit a fly ball to right field with enough distance to allow the Regents runner to tag up and score, allowing Rockford to walk off with the win.

Although the Regents got the best of DeRenzo, holding a team to three earned runs (out of four total) in nine innings is no small feat.

“Anthony DeRenzo pitched a great game,” Krob said. “[I]t was unfortunate that we were not able to win the game for him. He pitched the entire game and put us in a great position to win.”

DeRenzo finished the afternoon, giving up seven hits with five strikeouts and four walks on the three earned runs. He threw 119 pitches.

Persistence seems to be the best medicine for the Maroons to turn around their 5–18 season.

“I think we just need to keep going out there and competing,” Krob said.

The Maroons start this three-game weekend early, battling Aurora (9–18) Friday at 3 p.m. and then travelling to Mequon, WI on Saturday, where they will face Concordia (9–14) for a doubleheader at 1 and 4 p.m.