Maroons look to stay hot in Lone Star State battle

Chicago football takes its undefeated record to Texas to battle Trinity University.

Eight Maroons will be traveling south to their home state of Texas this weekend to face 1–4 Trinity University in the undefeated Maroons’ fifth game of the season. The Lone Star State will host the first meeting ever between these two teams.

This is the second straight year that Chicago has started with an impressive four straight victories.

Fourth-year tight end Bryan Tisdale will enjoy the whole experience this weekend.

“Definitely the best part of going home is finally being able to include my family in the football experience I’ve had for the past three years. As far as getting back to the state of Texas, it’s obviously the best place to play a football game. Mexican food is an exciting prospect as well,” Tisdale said.

The Maroons are coming off a huge comeback victory, by a score of 17–14, over Rhodes College. Now, the Maroons hope to carry this momentum into this weekend. The undefeated South Siders were 4–0 last season as well, but they weren’t able to sustain their success as losses on the road crippled their season. The South Siders will look to counteract this trend and keep themselves in line for a playoff spot this year.

Third-year offensive lineman Brock Appenzeller feels the momentum of last weekend’s clutch victory.

“The win over Rhodes was a great team victory. We stuck together and kept playing the next play. That team mentality will be important in the hostile Trinity environment,” Appenzeller said.

Much like last weekend, where rain and wind played a major factor in the team’s ability to execute plays, weather will be a factor this weekend, as well. San Antonio is expected to be upwards of 90 degrees on Saturday—a stark contrast to the game and practice conditions the Maroons have faced so far in the chilly confines of Hyde Park.

After last week, Chicago received six votes to be included in the NCAA Division III Top 25 rankings. A more staggering threat to Trinity will be the Chicago defense, currently ranked third in the nation.

Third-year cornerback Vincent Beltrano—a defensive leader—made a key play for Chicago against Rhodes, intercepting a pass that set up the Maroons’ game-winning field goal, and was consequently selected to the NCAA Division III Team of Week.

Regardless of Chicago’s recent success, it mustn’t get ahead of itself. Trinity’s record does not accurately reflect the quality of the team. They have faced several top-25 teams across the country and have a strong program history.

“They are one of the bigger and more physical teams we have faced and we cannot take them for granted,” Appenzeller said. “If we minimize turnovers and capitalize on our defense’s ability to create turnovers, we should compete well with them.”

The Maroons kick off in the hot, dry climate at 1:30 p.m. on Saturday at Trinity.