Fourth-years recognized as squad prepares for UAA Round Robin play

Chicago volleyball hosted the Gargoyle Classic at home last weekend and readies itself for the first UAA Round Robin in Atlanta this weekend.

With the UAA Round Robin on their platter this coming weekend in Atlanta, Georgia, the Maroons sought to bottle up some wins at the past weekend’s Gargoyle Classic here in Hyde Park before they head south.

The South Siders entered the tournament with a record of 13–5 and their eyes set on a title here at home. To start their tournament play, the ladies surged to a 3–0 victory over the Vikings of Augustana College. Some of the star players for the Maroons include fourth-year outside hitter Morgan Barry, who had 14 kills, fourth-year libero Eirene Kim, who contributed 12 digs, and third-year Ragine Graves setter who threw in 32 assists against Augustana.

With a victory in hand, the Maroons looked to reciprocate their success later on in the day against Carthage College. Unfortunately, victory was not in the cards as the ladies dropped a nail-biting match against the Lady Reds, and Chicago’s record dropped to 14–6 after the first day of tournament play at the Gargoyle Classic. Notable performers for the Maroons included third-year outside hitter Maren Loe, Graves, Barry, and first-year middle blocker Taylor David, who contributed five kills and six blocks in the match.

On Saturday, the Maroons not only looked to put the finishing touches on a hard-fought tournament, but also acknowledge the fourth-years on their Senior Day. Fourth-years for the Maroons included Barry, Kim, defensive specialist Ariel Chang, and middle blocker Kara Conway.

While Saturday was certainly a day of celebration in acknowledgement of the fourth-years, the Maroons also looked to put together two wins and add a couple more candles to their cake. In their first match, the Maroons were able to defeat Concordia College by a score of 3–0. Assisting in that route was not only Barry and Loe—with over 10 kills apiece—but also second-year setter Erin Risk, who helped the cause with 10 assists of her own.

In their last match of the day, the South Siders took on Millikin University. With their sights set on a daily sweep, the Maroons fought hard but unfortunately dropped their match by a score of 3–2. Notable stats for the Maroons during the match included a total of 49 kills, in part amassed by the likes of Loe, Barry, and Conway.

With the Gargoyle Classic wrapped up, the Maroons head to Atlanta this weekend for the first of the UAA Round Robin tournaments during the fall.