Bears sink Maroons’ victory hopes

Men’s and women’s swimming and diving both suffered losses to Wash U in their only UAA dual meet of the season.

This past weekend, the Maroons were looking to make a splash as they took on Wash U. In what was the only UAA dual meet for Chicago this year, the Maroons were unable to ride the waves of victory as the men fell to their conference rivals by a score of 154–145, and the women were sunk by a larger margin of 179–120.

While the Maroons were unable to repeat last year’s victory over Wash U, there were still several individual performers from the South Siders who were able to take home first place in their respective events.

On the men’s side, notable performers included a pair of underclassman who not only joined the program last year, but also penned their names in some of the Chicago record books.

Jonas Fowler, a second-year and returning All-American who set several school records in his freshman campaign, was first in both the 200-yard freestyle and 400-yard IM, with times of 1:45.17 and 4:12.48 respectively. Fellow second-year, Kevin Ku, was also a winner of the day, reaching the wall first in the 200-yard butterfly with a time of 1:53.81.

However, swimmers weren’t the only winners for the Maroon men, as fourth-year Matthew Staab proved once again why he should be considered one of the greatest divers in Maroon history. When the waves stopped rolling over the docks on Saturday, it was clear that Staab would be the top diver, confirmed by his victories in the one-meter and three-meter dives, with scores of 246.05 and 285.25 respectively.

While the women were similarly cast ashore by the Bears, there were still individuals to note as the women racked up six victories in the day’s competition, an effort led by one of the Maroons’ captains, fourth-year Jennifer Hill.

Hill, named an All-American last year, looked to repeat last season’s efforts as she played part in three victories throughout the day. Victories for Hill included the 100-yard and 200-yard breaststroke, respective times being 1:08.93 and 2:28.10, and a relay victory in the 200-yard medley. In the medley, Hill was just one-fourth of the winning effort, with a winning time of 1:50.52, as first-year Melissa Bischoff and second-years Abby Erdmann and Maya Scheidl also contributed to the Maroon victory.

While winning individual events is always important, the Maroons also recognize that at the end of the day, they are a team and a singular unit with the ultimate goal of winning a conference championship.

“All the work and training we do as a team are in preparation for our meets. We have to go from practicing as a team to racing as an individual,” said fourth-year team captain Andrew Angeles. “I like to focus on my races and break them down, but it is equally important to be there for teammates and cheer them on at meets.”

Coming off of the crushing defeat, the Maroons will have little time to rest and regroup as they take to the pools again in two weeks in the Phoenix Fall Classic at the Myers-McLoraine pool from November 21–23.