Kenwood Academy rated one of two best public high schools in Chicago

“As a school community, we have been successful at creating a space where students have the necessary wrap-around supports to ensure a successful academic and beyond curriculum experience.”

Kenwood Academy High School was one of only two open enrollment neighborhood public high schools in Chicago to receive the highest rating, level 1+, in the Chicago Public Schools’ 2015 School Rating Policy Report.

The rating is an improvement for the school from last year’s level 1, the second-highest rating. The only other open enrollment neighborhood high school to receive the level 1+ rating was Lincoln Park High School in Lincoln Park.

Principal Gregory Jones attributed the school’s high rating to steady improvement across several metrics, including ACT performances, attendance rates, and early college credentials.

I credit the gains to our focus on whole school improvement, not a particular area,” Jones said. “In addition to the academic shifts, the school has been intentional around building a culture that supports a well-rounded high school experience. As a whole, students have access to a broad range of high quality extracurricular programs and they enjoy coming to school.”

Jones sees the strong sense of community at Kenwood as a key to its success. 

“As related to other Chicago public schools, I believe Kenwood is quite unique. It is a place that effectively serves all students well.  In the same vein, faculty and staff are fully engaged in developing positive and sustainable relationships with students. Consequently, students view Kenwood as a second home and often return after high school graduation,” Jones said. “As a school community, we have been successful at creating a space where students have the necessary wrap-around supports to ensure a successful academic and beyond-curriculum experience.”