On and Around Campus: 1/31–2/2

Glenn Greenwald, Lunar New Year, and Krazy Kat.

Find more at chicagomaroon.com/events

January 31, 2017

Film Screening: IXCANUL

5–7 p.m., Social Science Research, Room 122

The Center for Latin American Studies will be hosting a screening of Jayro Bustamante’s debut film, “IXCANUL”. The project examines the lives of a population of Mayans who live on a coffee plantation at the base of an active volcano. Refreshments will be provided.

Urban Readers: Scenescapes

6–7:30 p.m., Seminary Co-Op Bookstore

In their book Scenescapes, Terry Nichols Clark and Daniel Aaron Silver consider how people, places, and experiences combine to create scenes. At this event, Clark will discuss the book with Timothy J. Gilfoyle, the chair of Loyola University Chicago’s history department.

Lunar New Year Celebration

9–12 p.m., Bartlett Dining Commons

PanAsia has teamed up with UChicago Dining to present a Lunar New Year themed fourth meal. Dining options will include dumplings, spring rolls, pork buns, fried rice and more!

February 1, 2017

Jonathan Lear: Wisdom Won from Illness

6:30–7 p.m., Seminary Co-Op Bookstore

Author and philosopher Jonathan Lear will be discussing his latest book, Wisdom Won from Illness, which examines the relationship between reason and desire throughout some of the most famous philosophical texts. He will be joined in discussion by Martha Nussbaum, a law and philosophy professor at the University.

Economic Growth and Growing Inequality in Times of Empire: The Babylonian Economy in the Sixth Century BCE

7–9 p.m., Oriental Institute

Led by University of Vienna Professor Michael Jursa, this lecture will focus on the causes and consequences of the prosperous “golden interval” of the Babylonian empire.

The Acquisition and Evolution of Linguistic Variation

12–1 p.m., Neubauer Collegium, 5701 S. Woodlawn Avenue

Kenny Smith of the University of Newbury will be discussing his research on artificial language systems. By conducting experiments, he was able to trace the patterns of natural variation as the artificial language was taught and learned by test subjects.

February 2, 2017

Michael Tisserand: Krazy: George Herriman, a Life in Black and White

6–7:30 p.m., Seminary Co-Op Bookstore

Author Michael Tisserand will discuss the his biography of the acclaimed cartoonist and in which ways in racial identity shaped Herriman’s art. Tisserand will be joined in discussion by historian Tim Samuelson and author Chris Ware.

Raise a Glass for Ray

6–8 p.m., Promontory. $35 in advance, $40 at door.

Proceeds from this event will go to Ray Elementary school. Ticket price includes wine, beer, and appetizers. Guests will have a chance to socialize and dance along with a live band. Child care will be provided for $20 per child, $10 for siblings.

Lunchtime Gallery Talk: The Organization of Irrigated Agriculture in Southern Mesopotamia

12:15–1 p.m., Oriental Institute

Postdoctoral scholar Stephanie Rost will be discussing early Mesopotamian systems to control the Euphrates and Tigris rivers to better suit agricultural needs.

Containment Screening

7–9 p.m., Logan Center for the Arts

Containment is a part film essay, part graphic novel account of how the radioactive leftovers of World War II might affect future generations. Filmmaker Robb Moss will be present, and will participate in a discussion the next night (an event which is, conveniently, also in this calendar).

Glenn Greenwald: Islamophobia and Surveilance in the Age of Trump

7–9 p.m., Rockefeller Memorial Chapel

Journalist, constitutional lawyer and author Glenn Greenwald will join author Moustafa Bayoumi in conversation about the struggle for justice in Trump’s America.