Newsletter for July 19

Dorm overflow — new housing contract option in Vue53; IOP fall fellows; and bubble tea coming to Campus North

Subscribe here to receive the Maroon Newsletter in your email inbox.

Good Wednesday morning.

Over capacity: Students with an on-campus housing contract can opt to be housed in Vue53—a luxury off-campus apartment building on 53rd Street—the University announced in an e-mail sent to some students Monday. Resident heads and resident assistants will move into Vue53 alongside the new University students, meaning it will effectively operate as a dorm within the off-campus building.

• The University’s move to make a deal with Vue53 points to greater demand than supply for on-campus housing. Last year, the University was nearly at capacity, housing 55 percent of undergrads and having the ability to house 55.6 percent. 
  • The announcement could be an early sign of a high admissions yield, but the high demand could also indicate that the University underestimated how many returning students would stay on campus.
  • Although the admin likely does not view this as an ideal situation in the short term, high demand for College Housing will be seen as good news for the University’s big picture goal of having 70 percent of students living in housing. 

**Related: The Hyde Park Herald reported in May that the University is looking at building a dorm at 61st Street and Dorchester Avenue.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Fall IOP fellows: Jason Kander (former Missouri Secretary of State), Jeff Roe (Ted Cruz’s 2016 campaign manager), Bakari Sellers (former South Carolina State Representative), Kathleen Sebelius (Secretary of Health and Human Services under Obama), Laura Haim (French journalist),  Karen Tumulty (Washington Post)and Fred Hochberg (former Chairman and President of the Export–Import Bank of the United States). [full press release]

ICYMI: A bubble tea company appears to have filed for a city permit to prepare a retail location in Campus North.

Moving up the ranks: The University appointed 24 faculty members to named or distinguished service professorships. The provost, Daniel Diermeier, was included in this group, being named the David Lee Shillinglaw Distinguished Service Professor in the Harris School of Public Policy and in the College.

DuSable Museum gets outdoor events space: A $584,000 project will convert an empty lot at the DuSable Museum of African American History into an outdoor space for weddings and other events. Mayor Emanuel said at the announcement that it will be “a unique location to celebrate special occasions in Washington Park.”

IN ARTS
Editor Alexia Bacigalupi writes in:

Solange and LCD Soundsystem may have been the big names at this weekend’s Pitchfork Music Festival, but check out some of the lesser-known acts who made an appearance.

Jay-Z is dead, long live Shawn Carter. The rapper reflects on a three-decade-long career, the latest generation of rappers, and of course, the state of his marriage in 4:44.

SECC gets MacArthur grant: The $380,000 grant to the South East Chicago Commission (SECC) will support the group’s transition from University control. The SECC had been the University’s chief urban redevelopment arm since the 1960s, when SECC-backed projects transformed Hyde Park. The SECC announced a host of grants of its own last week, one of which will plant flower bulbs along the sides of the Metra tracks through the Midway.

A blast from the past: In order to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the first controlled self-sustaining nuclear chain reaction that was achieved by legendary physicist Enrico Fermi, among others, during World War II, the University announced that it will organize a series of events this fall. Fermi’s chain reaction experiment was conducted under the stands of the original Stagg Field, which was later demolished and replaced by Regenstein Library.

Alumn nominated for an Emmy: Anna Chlumsky (A.B. ’02) has been nominated for a Primetime Emmy Award in the Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series category for her role as Amy Brookheimer, the chief of staff to President Selina Meyer, in the popular HBO series VeepThe Marooninterviewed Chlumsky in May.

This is a weird one: For the past couple years, alum Dushime Gashugi has been crashing the prestigious Allen & Company conference in Sun Valley, Idaho, which attracts the county’s top business leaders (and this year Jared and Ivanka Trump). Why? Gashugi tries to catch the attention of top CEOs and ask for business advice.

• From a CNBC story: “With the goal of one day being the best CEO in the world, he wanted to find a way to ask the smartest and the best business people for guidance. The Allen & Co. conference seemed like the place to go…. In 2015, he put together a list of people he wanted to talk to, booked an Airbnb and drove 14 hours to Sun Valley. That first year, he hung around inside Sun Valley Resort as the conference was taking place, he says. Security was light. ‘I would just walk around the premises—only in the public areas—and if I saw someone on my list, I’d walk up and say, “Hi.”’” 

A South Side dog park?: Alderman Sophia King sat down last night with her constituents to explore options for a dog park in the Fourth Ward, which includes Hyde Park, Kenwood, and Bronzeville. If established, it would be the only dog park south of 16th Street sanctioned by the Chicago Park District—and the only dog park of any kind if the renegade Jackson Bark does not somehow weather the threat posed by the redesign of Jackson Park’s golf courses.

“It's a terrible idea”: DNAinfo reports that the operators of the area’s already existing farmers’ markets are afraid that the market floated by the Obama Foundation would leave the Hyde Park farmers’ market and the 61st Street farmers’ market with too few customers and merchants.

Feedback via e-mail to news@chicagomaroon.com