South Siders Attack at Round Robin

The women’s volleyball team has played excellently this last weekend, going 3-0 at the UAA Round Robin. This serves as good practice for the Elmhurst Quadrangular this weekend.

The University of Chicago women’s volleyball team (15–3) continued their stellar season as they played the first round of the UAA Round Robin at Case Western Reserve University this weekend in Cleveland. 

Last Thursday, the Maroons returned home for Senior Day after defeating two ranked teams the previous weekend. At home, they blitzed Wheaton 3–0, before continuing their dominance on the road this weekend at Case Western.

In their two matches this past Saturday, the Maroons beat both Brandeis and Rochester, winning all six sets of the day. The Maroons dominated hitting percentage and limited errors in the two matches. 

“We knew that our first conference weekend was going to be a challenge because all the teams in our conference are so strong,” second-year Anne Marie Stifter said. “Team communication and chemistry were going to be key this weekend, so we made an extra effort to communicate and give energy.”

On Sunday, the No. 25 Maroons took on the No. 3 Emory Eagles in a heavyweight conference matchup. Emory came into the match with an impressive 14–1 record. At the end of the day, however, UChicago gave Emory its second loss of the season in another victory for the Maroons. Emory won the opening match 25–18, but UChicago responded by sweeping the next three sets 25–17, 25–10, and 25–21. UChicago’s defense was terrific as well, tallying 78 digs and limiting Emory to a .045 hitting percentage.

“Our serving was really strong the entire weekend as well, which really helped us get teams out of system and made our defense and offense much more efficient,” Stifter added. “We knew that having a strong opening weekend in UAAs was really essential in setting the tone for the rest of the conference games.”

The Maroons' next match occurs on Friday, October 6, versus Otterbein at the Elmhurst Quadrangular Tournament.