Maroon Women On Four-Game Win Streak

The Chicago softball team hangs onto an impressive four-game win streak as they head into a doubleheader against Wisconsin-Whitewater.

The University of Chicago softball team looks to extend their current two-game winning streak this Thursday with a doubleheader against Aurora, and this Saturday with a doubleheader against UW–Whitewater. All of the contests are at home. The Maroons are 11–7 so far on the year, going 2–0 on their home field.

The matchup with Aurora University is a makeup for two earlier contests scheduled for April 5. The Spartans are 12–10 so far on the year, currently riding a four-game losing streak. The Maroons and the Spartans have yet to play a common opponent. While UChicago appears to have the edge in momentum, Aurora takes the statistical advantage. The Spartans lead the Maroons in batting average (.312 to .292), slugging percentage (.395 to .435), home runs (9 to 5), and runs plated (120 to 102). However, the South Siders do have a slight edge in on-base percentage (.370 to .354). 

Fourth-year catcher Sara Koniewicz, who has 3 RBI on the year, spoke of the season so far and the matchup with Aurora, saying, “The season so far has been a great growth experience. We have a lot of young talent and, as we get deeper into the season, it’s great to see everyone coming together on the field and to watch well-executed plays be made. Looking to Aurora, we’ve just been focusing on a broad range of pitches at the plate as they have a versatile pitching staff.”

The first pitch will be tossed at 3 p.m., followed by the second game in the doubleheader starting around 5 p.m.

UW–Whitewater enters this weekend with an overall record of 9–7, also currently riding a two-game win streak of their own. The Warhawks have played games against three common opponents. UW–Whitewater has gone 1–1 against Tufts, losing their first contest of the year 10–3 but winning a later match 6–3. The Maroons dropped an early season matchup with Tufts 1–0. The Maroons lost an eight-inning matchup with Williams (4–5), and the Warhawks also dropped a match to Williams (3–5). Both teams have won matchups against Wellesley. The two teams are also very similar statistically.

Koniewicz also spoke of the Warhawks, adding, “With Whitewater we’re excited to have our first weekend home games. Season has been rough with the weather moving a lot of games around, but right now everyone is in the same boat as we are and we’re making the best of the weather by getting outside as often as we can. We’re working hard to get four big wins out of the rest of this week and hope to receive the continued support from our awesome fan base.”

The double header will start at 1 p.m., immediately followed by the second contest at 3 p.m.