Four UChicago Scientists Receive Total of $280,000 for Research

The Sloan Fellowship goes to early-career scientists and economists whose research indicates them as future leaders in their fields.

The University announced that four faculty members received Sloan Research Fellowships today in recognition of their early work’s potential to position them as leaders in their fields.

The Sloan Fellowship awards $70,000 over two years to promising tenure-track scientists to support their research. The UChicago fellows are assistant chemistry professor John Anderson, assistant geology professor Clara Blättler, and assistant biology professors Mengjie Chen and Matthew Kaufman.

All four fellows joined UChicago’s faculty in the past four years, hold teaching positions, and received their Ph.D.s in 2012 or afterward, as stipulated by the Fellowship’s nomination requirements.

The Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, named for a former president of General Motors, aims to support research in STEM fields as well as economics through its grantmaking. Two previous UChicago Sloan Fellows, Paul Romer and Yuan Tseh Lee, went on to win Nobel Prizes in 2018 for economics and 1986 for chemistry, respectively.