The Maroons Compete Over Spring Break

Various UChicago teams traveled all over the country and, even, to Iceland over spring break for games and training trips.

Baseball

Continuing their season, the UChicago baseball team headed to Texas to face some of their toughest competition. The Maroons beat No. 1 Trinity University in a 4–3 game with impressive plays from fourth-year right-hander Joe Liberman and first-year Benjamin Rosengard. The following day, the team faced Texas Lutheran University, starting with an impressive lead before faltering into an 8–5 loss. This loss follows four back-to-back games in less than a week, highlighting the demanding and grueling schedule the Maroons have faced all season.  

Men’s Tennis

Kicking off their spring season, the UChicago men’s tennis team competed and trained in sunny California. They started the week off against Pomona-Pitzer, securing a hard-fought victory (5–4). Pomona-Pitzer put up a fight that the Maroons were prepared to meet. Second-years Jeremy Yuan and Alejandro Rodriguez won early matches, setting the stage for the win. This was complemented by another 5–4win against Williams at Claremont McKenna’s courts. Winding down from the laborious training and previous meets, the team faced Claremont-Mudd-Scripps, losing 6–3. Despite the loss, the Maroons won two of the three doubles matches. 

Women’s Tennis

The UChicago women’s tennis team joined their counterpart in California to play two tough teams. The team balanced these games with intense practices to start their spring season off strong. They started the trip by competing against Williams at Claremont McKenna. Despite strong wins from first-year Nicole Semenov and second-year Catherine Xu, the team faltered in its doubles matches. Women’s Tennis continued the week by playing against No. 2 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps. Despite the overall loss (8–1), impressive doubles play from third-year Marjorie Antohi and first-year Lauren Park secured the Maroons a match win. 

Softball: 

The UChicago softball team travelled to Clermont, Florida to kick off their season with a slew of games over spring break. Playing 12 games against stiff competition over the course of seven days, the team returned to Chicago with a record of 5–7. The team netted 40 total runs over the dozen games for an average of 3.33, and the team notched impressive victories against Union (N.Y.), Carleton, Oberlin, Wisconsin-Stout, and Wisconsin-Eau Claire. But the Maroon bats struggled to come alive in several lopsided losses. Fourth-year outfielder Maeve Garvey collected one home run and 10 RBI to pace the team. “With the opportunity to reflect and continue to work on the little things, we are moving forward and eager to get the team to be successful in all phases during the same game: offense, defense and pitching.  While our record fell a little short, we learned a lot about who we can be and what we can accomplish when we take that next step,” said head coach, Ruth Kmak. 

Lacrosse:

The UChicago lacrosse team tacked on another two wins, but also suffered the program’s first loss while in California over break. The Maroons routed Linfield 22–6 to end their finals week hiatus, scoring a season high in goals and shots. First-year midfielder Ali Sheehy set the pace for the team with six goals while first-years Lally Johnson and Abbey Pouba added hat tricks. Next, the team downed Whittier 19–6 in similar fashion. Sheehy and Johnson again recorded hat tricks as first-year attackers Sarah Bloomquist and Anna Rosloniec joined them. In their final game of the break, the Maroons’ opponent found a way to slow their red-hot offense, as Redlands bested them 20–12. Redlands took a 13–6 advantage at halftime after a 9–2 scoring run put them up for good. First-year midfielder Karina Schulze and Pouba each scored three goals, leading the visiting Maroons. Schulze also dominated on the draw, winning 14 of the Maroons’ 23 compared to the Redlands team total of 12. The Bulldogs, though, were able to make up the difference by winning the ground ball battle 35–24 to even the possession. The Maroons, now sitting at 7–1, will begin conference play shortly. 

Volleyball: 

The UChicago volleyball team went to Iceland for the duration of spring break, mixing cultural experiences with training sessions. As part of the international experience, the team hiked through Icelandic national parks and waterfalls, relaxed in thermal spas, and visited local horse farms. The Maroons took on the Icelandic national team at the Olympic Training Center for some friendly exhibition scrimmages after several practices. While the team was understandably rusty after five months since the end of their season, the matches served to help the team improve heading into spring quarter training. “Our spring break trip presented us the unique opportunity to grow closer to each other and a new culture simultaneously. The days were filled with breath-taking sights, lots of laughs, and delicious food,” said second-year Allie Musienga.