Out of 910 Move-In Tests, Two Students Test Positive for Coronavirus

The two positives came out of the 910 students whose COVID-19 tests were tested by end-of-day Tuesday. 678 tests remain to be examined.
-
University of Chicago

Two students out of the 910 students whose COVID-19 tests were processed by end-of-day on Tuesday have tested positive for coronavirus, according to an email sent to university community members by Provost Ka Yee Lee and Dean Michele Rasmussen.

The tests were conducted as part of the UChicago residence hall move-in procedure. 1,588 students were examined in total, meaning that there are still 678 tests to be examined in this initial batch.

The two students that have tested positive have been notified and quarantined, according to the email. Further, the University is engaging in contact tracing to determine whether these individuals exposed any of their peers in the recent past.

The University expected at least some positive tests as students moved into residence dorms, according to the email. Students residing in residence halls are tested upon arrival and must observe a 10-day quarantine as well as receive weekly COVID-19 testing thereafter. Students not living in university housing are not required to receive COVID-19 testing.