University Plans for Almost All In-Person Classes this Fall

Virtual sections and accommodations will be available by request for international students unable to return to campus.
Meghan Hendrix

The College expects most classes to be taught in person and on campus this autumn quarter. 

In an email sent to the College community yesterday, Dean John Boyer announced that remote instruction will be available to international students who cannot return to Hyde Park in the fall. Large courses with multiple sections will offer online sections specifically for students who are unable to attend in person, and courses without multiple sections will find more individualized ways to accommodate students who must attend virtually. 

While the University anticipates that in-person instruction “will be the norm” in the College by winter 2022, it does not plan to fully abandon remote teaching methods. The email said that the College will consider offering online courses in the future, “especially where technology can create new opportunities for collaboration and innovative teaching and in cases where such a format might increase access and provide more equitable instruction.”

Students have recently advocated that the University continue to offer some courses online even as the main mode of instruction returns to in-person. According to University spokesperson Gerald McSwiggan, “academic accommodations for students with documented disabilities are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. This will continue to be the case in the Autumn Quarter as we return to on-campus instruction as the primary mode of course delivery.”

Boyer noted that because few students live on campus during summer quarter and the new September term, some courses taught during those terms will be fully online for all students. Information about the autumn quarter registration process and the calendar will be made available to students in the coming weeks.