Rohr Chabad Center Breaks Ground on Expansion Project

The $3.2 million renovation will expand the Chabad House at 5700 South Woodlawn Avenue to offer more programs for Jewish students.
Courtesy of Chabad at UChicago
The Rohr Chabad Center broke ground on a new expansion project on May 2.

Rohr Chabad at the University of Chicago and Hyde Park celebrated the groundbreaking of a new $3.2 million expansion at 5700 South Woodlawn Avenue on May 2.

Chabad purchased their current house at the corner of Woodlawn Avenue and 57th Street in 2010. The ambitious $3.2 million expansion will include a large, fully accessible multi-purpose room, dedicated study spaces, a student lounge, and an expanded kitchen. In addition, the new basement area will include a mikvah (ritual bath).

Established in 2000 by Baila Brackman and Rabbi Yossi Brackman in their two-bedroom apartment, Chabad strives to foster an inclusive space for the Jewish community on campus through learning, social events, and weekly family-style Shabbat dinners, according to Baila Brackman. Chabad remains fiscally independent from the University, with funding for operations and renovations primarily coming from donations.

During the groundbreaking ceremony, students and community members delivered speeches on the pivotal role of Chabad in strengthening the Jewish community at UChicago. Eliza Ross, a fourth-year at the College, remarked on the rare sense of belonging she found at Chabad during the pandemic. Others described the Center as a “home away from home” and shared stories of receiving homemade chicken soup late at night when ill.

“One of the most meaningful parts of freshman year was coming to Chabad for Shabbat dinner every single week. That is actually how I met some of my closest friends still to this day, my boyfriend of over three years, and also a ton of other students and built a huge community network of other Jews on campus,” Ross said.

Baila Brackman emphasized the expansion’s role in amplifying Chabad’s mission to support an even broader student base.

“As we look forward to our new building, we see it as a place of growth, warmth, and resilience,” Baila Brackman said. “We will have more space to welcome students, more resources to support their journeys, and a bigger kitchen to feed more people.”

Baila Brackman said the expansion will allow Chabad to reach underrepresented communities, such as graduate students.

Speakers also expressed the importance of Chabad as a symbol of resilience for the Jewish community.

“The past few weeks and months have brought unprecedented challenges to our community,” Baila Brackman said. “The events since October 7 [2023] and the current climate on campus have tested us in ways we could not have anticipated. Yet, despite these hardships, we have vowed to stand strong and not let fear or hatred diminish our spirits.”

Construction began on May 6 and is expected to be completed within 12 to 14 months.

View Comments (2)
$5613
$7000