Breaking: Pro-Palestine Protesters Occupy Institute of Politics Building

The occupation comes as alumni weekend had been a focal point for protesters calling for divestment.
Nathaniel Rodwell-Simon
Protesters exit the Institute of Politics building through the second floor window.

Pro-Palestine protesters have occupied the Institute of Politics building on South Woodlawn Avenue. After a rally on the Midway, pro-Palestine protesters marched north and turned into the Institute of Politics building. 

Protesters brought chairs into the building, locked doors, and spray painted security cameras as they entered the building.

They were followed by a line of marked and unmarked Chicago Police Department cars.

Chicago Police Officers and University of Chicago Police Officers were on site attempting to remove protesters from blocking the street.

A protester installed a tent in the backyard. Five UCPD officers arrived shortly after, taking away the tent materials. They were seen arguing with protesters in the backyard. 

Protesters began chanting, “From the River to the Sea; Palestine will be free.” 

An organizer with Student for Justice in Palestine (SJP) said that SJP was not involved in organizing the occupation of the IOP.

This is a developing story. View live updates here as the situation progresses.

View Comments (4)
$5613
$7000