Crime report

On April 18 at 11:31 p.m. police were notified of gunshots at 4720 South Drexel Avenue. They found a 24-year-old man lying on the ground in the courtyard suffering from a gunshot to the chest. The man was taken to Northwestern Hospital and was pronounced dead on arrival at 12:02 a.m. Two witnesses said they heard a gunshot and saw a man running away with a handgun and then getting into a car. He was described as approximately 18 to 20 years old, 5 feet 11 inches tall, 180 pounds.

On April 19 at 2:42 p.m., police apprehended a 15-year-old man who was driving a stolen vehicle. A University officer on patrol on the 1400-block of South Midway Plaisance received a call regarding a man breaking into a car on the Midway. The officer observed a vehicle driving west on 60th street towards Woodlawn that struck another car. The officer got the license number and found that it was stolen. He followed the car to 56th and Maryland where the man exited the car and began to run. The officer caught him and took him into custody.

The University service garage at 5601 S. Cottage Grove was broken into sometime between 2:45 p.m. on April 19 and 8:45 a.m. the following day. The burglars climbed the fence that surrounds the area and broke an office window and an overhead door window to get inside. They took miscellaneous garage items such as tools and chargers, but most of it was recovered nearby. One of the burglars apparently cut himself while climbing the fence, because blood was found on the scene. The police are currently investigating the crime.