Crime Report – 11.11.03

The UCPD arrested a suspected burglar at 10:31 a.m. on November 6, at 5400 South Harper Avenue. The UCPD spotted a car belonging to Clarence Jones, a suspected burglar, and a short time later saw Jones. The police set up surveillance on Jones and watched him prepare to burglarize an apartment. Jones waited outside an apartment until someone came out without closing the door behind him properly, grabbing the door and entering the building. The UCPD surrounded the building and waited 50 minutes until Jones exited the back door of the building carrying a box of property. He was immediately taken into custody. In addition to the box full of property, Jones was found with a crow bar. Police assert that he used the bar to force entry into two apartments. Jones has been charged with the two burglaries at 5400 South Harper, and detectives are following up on the possibility that Jones is responsible for numerous other burglaries in the neighborhood. Jones, 51, is a resident of 9000 South Parnell Avenue and is currently on parole for residential burglary. He has an extensive criminal history of burglary.

A man robbed the Subway at 1449 East 57th Street on November 6, at 9:26 p.m. The man entered the front door, locked it, and approached the counter with a handgun. He demanded money from the register. The Subway employee complied. After receiving the money, the offender unlocked the door and fled out. He went eastbound on 57th Street, where he got into a vehicle and drove away. The man has been described as black, 19-25, 6 foot 2, and 240 pounds. He wore a gray hooded jacket, black pants, and a black scarf around his face.

A man was robbed at gunpoint on 1600 East 53rd Street at 3:55 p.m. on November 7. One man approached the victim and brandished a handgun. He then went into the victim’s pockets, removed an envelope containing cash, and fled on foot. The thief was described as a black man, 28-32, 5 foot 10, and 200 pounds. He was wearing a hooded plaid green jacket, faded blue jeans, brown boots, and a do-rag.

Two men robbed Ingleside Foods on 5117 South Ingleside Avenue, at 2:30 p.m. on November 8. The two men entered the store and pretended to make a purchase. As they walked to the counter the first man displayed a handgun. He then went behind the counter to the register and removed money. Both men fled out the door. The first man was described as black, 24-29, 5 foot 7, 150 pounds, and with a light complexion. He was wearing a cream jacket, a black shirt, and blue jeans. The second man was described as black, 24-29, 5 foot 7, 150 pounds, and with a dark complexion. He was wearing green hospital scrubs.

A man robbed a 15-year-old boy at gunpoint on November 9, at 6:05 p.m., at 4900 South Kimbark Avenue. The man approached the boy with his handgun exposed, took $15 and the victim’s bicycle, and then fled southbound. The man was described as black, 20-30, 5 foot 9, 210 pounds, and with a dark complexion. He was wearing a black hat, black jacket, and dark pants.

–Art Kimball Stanley