Mr. Monegro goes to Washington

Alberto Monegro, a fourth-year in the college from Bronx, New York, was named a 2005 Barbara Jordan Health Policy Scholar. The program, directed by the Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation in partnership with Howard University, gives promising minority students a chance to intern for nine weeks in congressional offices in Washington, D.C., for the purpose of accumulating hands-on experience in health policy.

Scholars benefit not only from the internship, but from other health policy resources, such as seminars and site visits tailored to expand their knowledge base. In addition to these activities, scholars will write and present a health policy research paper during their time in Washington.

“Each of these talented scholars shows real potential to become part of the next generation of health policy leadership,” said Kaiser Family Foundation President Drew E. Altman. “The Barbara Jordan Scholars Program provides an opportunity to get involved in health policy and public service.”

The Kaiser Family Foundation established the scholars program in honor of former U.S. Congresswoman Barbara Jordan of Texas. Jordan was the first black person elected to Congress from her state and is a member of the foundation’s board of trustees.

Monegro was chosen as one of 16 participants in the program, and will be working in the office of senator Russell Feingold of Wisconsin.