Mr. University pokes fun at Alpha males

The Kappa Alpha Theta Sorority held its fourth annual Mr. University pageant titled, “Mr. University 2004: A Perfect Gentleman,” Thursday night in Mandel Hall. Dan Harrington from apartment 909 beat 10 other contestants to win this year’s Mr. University title.

All 10 contestants competed in swimwear, talent, and formalwear. Of these, five were chosen to compete in a question and answer session. Kenneth Merber of Psi Upsilon and his washboard abdominals were far and away the swimwear favorites. During the talent competition, T.J. Flippin of the Maroon water polo team gave a rousing performance on his flamenco guitar, while Jake Raden of Pi Kappa Alpha demonstrated his tremendous martial arts abilities.

The event was judged by Assistant Professor in the Department of Political Science Dan Drezner, Vice President and Dean of Students in the University Steve Klass, Adviser in the College Elise LaRose, and the Ralph and Dorothy Keller Distinguished Service Professor of Economics in the GSB Sam Peltzman.

All proceeds from Mr. University will go to Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA), a charity that speaks for the rights of children in court.

Kate McCabe, a fourth-year in the College, said she found the show “entertaining.”