Sports Shorts

Three Maroons earn recognition

It has been a good week for University of Chicago athletics with softball earning a bid to NCAA Regionals and three student-athletes pulling in awards.

Second-year Teage O’Connor was honored as the UAA Athlete of the Week for the first time in his career on Wednesday. He finished in fourth place in the men’s 5K at the North Central College Cardinal Classic this past weekend with a time of 15:09.4. The time was the fifth best in school history and set a new personal record by 53 seconds.

Second-year Annie Miller also earned notice from the UAA, as she was named to the 2004 All-UAA women’s tennis team on Wednesday. Miller was a big leader at the second-singles position this year, and she placed on the second team for her 10-4 record at that spot. She finished 13-6 on the season and 2-1 at the UAA Championships in Rochester, New York.

Rounding out the young group of student-athletes that were recognized this week, second-year Hannah Roberts was named to the All-Great Lakes Region Team on Thursday by the National Fastpitch Coaches Association.

Roberts was a first-team selection, leading the pitching-deep Maroons with a 16-4 record, an NCAA-leading 0.15 ERA, and 9.6 strikeouts per game, which puts her at seventh in the nation. She gave up only three earned runs all year and at one point pitched 62.1 consecutive scoreless innings.

Roberts, who was named an All-American in her rookie season and is expected to be again this year, continues her season this weekend as softball heads to Alma, Michigan for the regional tournament.