UCDems canvass Wisconsin

Since the beginning of the school year, the UCDems have been traveling to Wisconsin and other swing states in support of the Kerry-Edwards presidential campaign. Last weekend, the group went to a suburb of Milwaukee and canvassed door-to-door, registering democrats to vote.

In Wisconsin, voters can register up until the election and can even do so at the polls when they come to vote. In addition, anyone in Wisconsin can register to vote by absentee ballot. For example, if a resident feels that he is simply too busy to make it to the polls, he can simply send his ballot in by mail.

Azure Gilman, a first-year in the College who went on this Saturday’s trip, had a positive experience helping with the campaign. “I liked the feeling of everyone working for a common cause and the feeling of accomplishment,” she said. “I got seven people to register absentee. I definitely felt like I was making a difference.” She stressed that a lot of students say that they want change, but few actually do anything to make a difference.

Trips leave from the Reynolds Center every Saturday morning at 8:00 a.m. and return in the evening, around 9 or 10 p.m. In addition, Illinois’s Kerry-Edwards campaign director Avis LaVelle will be on campus October 14 to talk with students. The time and place will be announced soon.