/  

September 28, 2001

News in Brief

Fermi celebrations take place on Saturday

The U.S. Postal Service will issue a new 34-cent stamp Saturday honoring the 100th anniversary of the birth of Enrico Fermi.

The ceremony will take place at 9:30 a.m. in the University of Chicago's Max Palevsky Cinema, followed by sessions dedicated to remembering the Nobel Prize-winning physicist.

The symposium, lasting from 11 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., has been titled “Fermi Remembered," and will feature scientists who were students and colleagues of Fermi during the time he was a professor at the U of C.

Fermi is credited with being the first physicist to split the atom. The discovery of nuclear reactions led to the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1938.

In 1942, Fermi and his work were transferred to the U of C where he produced the first controlled nuclear chain reactor, a part of the Manhattan Project during World War II.

After the war, Fermi accepted a teaching position at the U of C's new Institute for Nuclear Studies. Fermi and his colleague Herbert Anderson discovered the nuclear particles that are now known as “quarks."

Following Fermi's death on November 16, 1954, the Institute for Nuclear Studies was renamed the Enrico Fermi Institute for Nuclear Studies.

Also named in his memory are the element fermium, the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory in Batavia, Illinois, and the Enrico Fermi Award, the government's oldest science and technology award.

The stamp displays a photograph of Fermi, taken during the time he was a professor at the U of C, with a model of the carbon atom.

The stamp ceremony and the symposium on Saturday are free and open to the public.

Park District presents plan for Point on Monday

This Monday, the Chicago Park District will present its latest plan for the renovation of Promontory Point. The University of Chicago's Student Government plans to send representatives to the meeting, which will take place at 6:15 p.m. at the Oriental Institute on the University's campus.

“The Point is an integral part of the Hyde Park community, and we plan to be there," said Student Government President Ben Aderson.

Fifth District Alderman Leslie Hairston sponsored the last meeting about the Point renovations in August.

Approximately 200 community members attended the event, debating whether the Point will be renovated with concrete and steel or limestone.

“Students ought to be there," Aderson said.

“The Point is a landmark. It's Hyde Park's interface with the lake, and the students' voice ought to be there. This is our community."

The meeting is open to the public.