Assistant director of Physicians for Human Rights to speak on Darfur

A panel discussion, titled “Genocide in Our Time: The Ongoing Crisis in Darfur,” will be held on Tuesday, November 15. The event was organized by a coalition of student social justice groups with the support of the Center for the Study of Race, Politics, and Culture.

The panel will include John Heffernan, assistant director of Physicians for Human Rights; Salih Booker, executive director of Africa Action in Washington, D.C.; and Richard Lobban, executive director of Sudan Studies Association and professor of anthropology at Rhode Island College. The discussion will focus on the history of violence and tension in Darfur.

The speakers will also discuss the aid currently being provided in Darfur and in refugee camps in neighboring Chad, the role of the U.S. and the United Nations, and the ongoing peace process in Abuja.

Anne Bartlett, director of the Darfur Centre for Human Rights and Development in London, will moderate the event.

The Giving Tree at the University of Chicago, Justice for Darfur, Students for Human Rights, Human Rights Program at the University of Chicago, and the Amnesty International University of Chicago Chapter formed a coalition this past academic year with the goal of educating the campus about the problems in Darfur. Since its creation, the coalition has held other events, such as a conference entitled “Crisis in Sudan,” two benefit concerts, and a refugee crisis discussion, also with Anne Bartlett.

The discussion will be held from 6 to 7:30 p.m. in the third-floor lecture room of Swift Hall. A dinner reception will follow the discussion.