Brent House names new chaplain

Reverend Stacy Alan will be formally installed as the Episcopal chaplain of the U of C this Sunday, November 13 at 5:30 p.m. The installation will take place at Bond Chapel as part of the Sunday service, and is open to all members of the University community. This service marks the formal ritual recognition of Alan’s status as chaplain, although she has been acting in this position since January 1. Alan replaces Reverend Sam Portaro, who held the position for 22 years.

Alan said she feels that her placement at the University is a great fit.

“I really enjoy the energy of a college campus,” she said. “I love the energy of the students.”

As chaplain, Alan will be in charge of Brent House, the Episcopal community center on campus. Alan said she hopes to continue the programs that were established under Portaro at Brent House.

Alan said the mission of Brent house is twofold, as she will minister to Episcopalian students and also help other people on campus.

“If there are campus needs we can meet, we’ll do our best to meet them,” Alan said. “We’re still doing a lot of listening, a lot of talking to people.”

Alan’s future plans for Brent House include making it more visible on campus.

“We’d like to develop the space as conducive to relaxing, like a home,” Alan said. “We have a lot of programs at night, but we’d like Brent House to be available during the day, as a place for students both to relax and do their work.”