SPORTS

/  

February 15, 2005

Sports Shorts 2-15-05

Men's hoops picks up first UAA road win

With just three games left on the schedule, men's basketball is still struggling to get consistent on the road.

With the season entering its final stages, the Maroons split a pair of away games, whipping Case Western 102-71 Friday before tripping up in an 83-68 loss to Emory Sunday.

Facing a weak Spartans squad in Cleveland, second-year guard Jesse Meyer's tremendous effort pushed the Maroons to their first UAA road win of the year. Meyers, starting at guard in place of injured fourth-year Brian Cuttica, sank a record-tying eight three-pointers en route to a career-high of 33 points. Meyer also chipped in five rebounds and an assist, almost single-handedly dismantling Case. Second-year guard Brandon Woodhead was a distant second in scoring, adding 17 points and 4 assists. The 102 points scored and 31-point margin of victory were both season highs for Chicago.

Blowout and three-game win streak in hand, the Maroons came into the Woodruff Center in Atlanta with a high level of confidence. It seemed to have little effect, as the Eagles took the lead at the tip and never looked back, cruising to a 15-point victory. While fourth-year guard Justin Waldie, Woodhead, and Meyer all tallied double figures, the Maroons had a disappointing offensive night as a team, shooting 37 percent from the field and just 25 percent from beyond the arc. By contrast, Emory shot 50 percent from the field and sank 8 of 11 three point attempts to split the season series.

Chicago (10-12, 6-5) is now tied for third in the league with the hated Washington University Bears and sits one game behind Carnegie Mellon. With wins over NYU and Brandeis this weekend, Rochester has clinched a share of the UAA crown.

Chicago will aim to finish above .500 by sweeping its final three. The team will not have an easy road, facing Rochester and Carnegie at home this weekend and closing out the season in St. Louis February 26 against the Bears.

Check Friday's Maroon for a full preview.

—Yuefan Weng

Women split, third in parity-filled UAA

Chicago couldn't escape the rash of upsets breaking out across the UAA.

Women's basketball (14-8, 7-4) split a weekend set on the road, dropping a stunner to Case 77-49 Friday before rebounding to pound Emory 65-43.

Third-year guard Susie Gutowski started things off right against the Spartans (9-11, 4-6) with a pair of free throws, but Case responded with an 8-0 run and never looked back. The home team led 44-21 at the break, and not even a nine-point, one-steal performance in the second half from first-year guard Nofi Mojidi could slow them down. Gutowski, Mojidi, and first-year forward Nicaya Rapier all scored in double digits for the Maroons, with Gutowski leading the way with 17.

The early stages against Emory looked nightmarishly similar, with the Eagles responding to a Gutowski layup with four straight buckets to take a 9-2 lead. This time, the Maroons fought back, and a three-pointer from second-year guard Korry Schwanz gave them their first lead of the game at 16-14 with just more than seven minutes to go in the first.

Emory gamely stuck with the Maroons for the next four minutes, but Chicago held a 10-point lead at halftime. They kept the Eagles (7-14, 3-8) at arm's length the rest of the way, holding them without a field goal for the last eight minutes. Gutowski led the team again with 16 points and 11 rebounds for her ninth league-leading double-double of the season.

Chicago (14-8, 7-4) is one of five teams still in contention for postseason spots in the league, with Brandeis, Washington, NYU, and Rochester. The Maroons host Rochester and Carnegie this weekend.

—Joe Katz