Crime Report: March 31, 2006

March 17, 8:05 p.m.—An armed robbery occurred on the street at 5640 South Kimbark Avenue.

According to police reports, a 28-year-old man was riding his bicycle northbound on Kimbark Avenue when he came upon two other men standing in the street.

One of the men tackled the victim off of his bicycle and pointed a handgun at him, demanding his wallet and cell phone. The victim then tossed his cell phone out into the street.

A passerby driving through the area noticed the attack and began blowing his car horn. The offenders fled eastbound on East 56th Street, and the passerby called University Police from a nearby campus emergency phone.

Several minutes after arriving at the scene, one of the officers observed two individuals on a nearby street matching the offenders’ physical description provided by the victim. The two men were taken into custody, where police recovered the victim’s cell phone and a handgun.

Sheldon Searcy, 17, of the 500 block of East 105th Street and Avery Davis, 18, of the 1800 block of West Second Avenue, were both arrested.

They were charged with armed robbery in a Branch 48 court appearance on March 24.