Foreword from the Editor

Dear Reader, 

Not long ago, I was invited to a luncheon on campus celebrating the achievements of students in our community. It was a joyous, well-deserved occasion filled with laughter and stories over multi-course meals that any ramen-fueled college-student would drool over. Yet I couldn’t help but feel off. It was a perfect event; what could’ve felt wrong? Then, it hit me. “Oh, I’m the only Black person here.” That feeling enveloped me and stuck like glue. I felt out of sync with the place I was in with no resolution in sight. 

I’m sure many of my peers of color have a near identical story and have experience these feelings countless times during their studies at UChicago. We’ve been told any space we enter, we deserve to be in, but realistically, that doesn’t often feel like the case.

I want this issue to not only be a space Black students feel that they deserve to be in, but a place where they feel empowered to be themselves, whether that be to report on the issues that matter to them, creatively engage with their Blackness, or voice their opinions on campus-wide issues. 

Though this issue you’re holding (or reading online) isn’t a replacement or cure-all for the gross overt and covert prejudices the University lets slip by everyday, I hope this issue can become a tradition that can remind UChicago and South Side’s Black communities what Black History Month is all about: our strength to flourish even in the most harsh circumstances. 

The greatest strength of the Black community is our ability to endure, and that has been achieved with us supporting and uplifting one another. Let’s never forget to continue doing this.

Stay close and huddle a little tighter (not just for warmth) this Black History Month. Creating and leading this issue has been one of my happiest memories at UChicago that will no doubt cross my mind as I graduate this spring. Thank you to each and every person who worked on this issue, you mean the world to me.

Happy Black History Month!

Solana Adedokun

Collage of mingling during the first Black House Conference.
Our Story, Our Future, Our House: A Year Into the University of Chicago Black Council
By Arsima Araya / February 14, 2024

The aroma of freshly brewed coffee was lingering in the air while, groups of students flocked to hear of UChicago’s campus in the late ’60s...

The Daressy
The Daressy
By Jacob White / February 13, 2024

Pushed through the bitter winter Left in the dark grey of day Watch the higher god’s cinder And the lower god’s sunrays Exposed...

Social Contract
Social Contract
By Christian Turk / February 13, 2024

Breach in the social contract,  Out of reach no social contact,  Disconnect from what they erect and what they wreck,  Where their...

Voices from Blacklight Magazine
Voices from Blacklight Magazine
February 13, 2024
A collection of poems from writers at Blacklight Magazine.
“So You’re Askin’ About ACSA?”
“So You’re Askin’ About ACSA?”
By Christian Turk, , on behalf of ACSA / February 13, 2024
Our mission is to unite and uplift the voices of the Africans and Caribbeans who have found themselves within the UChicago Community.
The Independence: Our Role, Our Mission, and Our Purpose
By The Editorial Board of The Independence / February 13, 2024
The Independence was created in March 2023. This publication seeks to take control of the narrative of Africa through different mediums of expression in the fields of politics, art, science, music and beyond. We are one. We are together. We are Africa.
Black is the Warmest Color
Black is the Warmest Color
By Chelsea Egbarin / February 13, 2024

One of my earliest memories is of my mother doing my hair every month in her bathroom mirror. It was a day-long affair: I’d wake to a depression...

Fashion & Culture: Pagne
Fashion & Culture: Pagne
By MODA / February 13, 2024

"For Black History Month, we are embracing the diverse heritage of individuals of Black descent. Rylanah, who has roots in Côte d’Ivoire and...

Making Space Video Series
Making Space Video Series
By Manny Adewale / February 13, 2024
For Black students in the College, creativity isn't just a means of expression; the creativity we engage in helps us create space for ourselves.
$560
$2000