Voices STD (Stuff to Do)—June 2, 2006

Welcome to the last “Stuff to Do” for this year. Lots of music and fun for everyone—except for those of us (most of us?) who’ll be stuck in the Reg all weekend. Congratulations to the seniors, and happy vacation!

Friday, June 2

There’s a little slice of musical heaven for everyone this Friday. Chicago’s summer of music festivals starts off this afternoon with the Gospel Music Festival in Millennium Park. (Randolph and Michigan Avenues, 6–9:30 p.m. Friday, 12–9:30 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, free)

Tonight also marks the last Java Jive of the school year. The Chicago Swing Dance Society presents a free lesson at 8 p.m., and dancing lasts until midnight. (Shoreland Ballroom, 8 p.m.–midnight, free)

For a taste of a different decade, check out the Mod Soul Dance Party at Sonotheque tonight. It’s part of the fifth annual “Our Way of Thinking” weekend festival celebrating mod music and culture. For more events, visit www.modchicago.com. (1444 West Chicago Avenue, 10 p.m.–2 a.m., $10)

Southkore Fest, America’s first-ever entirely Latino punk festival, starts tonight. Bands from as close as Pilsen and Back of the Yards—and as far away as Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic—will play at this loud, politically charged event. (3057 West 26th Street, 8 p.m., $10 or $18 for a two-day pass)

Celebrate the re-release of three classic Depeche Mode albums—Speak and Spell, Music for the Masses, and Violator—at Depeche Mode Showcase 2006. The Depeche Mode portion of the evening only lasts until 1:30 a.m., but DJ Greg Haus spins until 4. (954 West Belmont Avenue, 9 p.m.–4 a.m., 21+, free, $5 after 11 p.m.)

Meet a drag legend in person! John Catania and John Ignacio’s The Lady in Question is Charles Busch plays at Columbia College’s Film Row Cinema as a benefit for Reeling 2006: The 25th Chicago Lesbian and Gay International Film Festival. Busch, Catania, and Ignacio are scheduled to attend, and Chicago philanthropist Michael Leppen sponsors the event. The ticket price includes bonus complimentary tickets to Reeling 2006 and Reeling at Gay Games VII. (1104 South Wabash Avenue, 7 p.m., $75)

Saturday, June 3

The Printers Row Book Fair is a U of C student’s dream—books upon books upon books filling up stretches of entire city blocks. For two days, booksellers from across the city set up booths to sell their wares, venders pass out tasty freebies, and authors read from their bestselling—and sometimes delightfully obscure—novels. Visit www.chicagotribune.com/extras/printersrow/ for a complete schedule and list of vendors. (Harrison Red Line Stop, 10 a.m.–6 p.m., free)

Off-Off Campus, one of the nation’s oldest improv groups and a U of C favorite, has been around for 20 years now. Help them celebrate at their anniversary show! (Ida Noyes Third Floor Theater, 8–10 p.m., $8)

The Windy City Cycling Club, DykeDiva.com, and the Lesbian Community Cancer Project bring us Dykes Pedaling Bikes. The women will start at Lincoln Park’s “totem pole” (Addison Street and Lake Shore Drive) at 9 a.m., stop at “Queens Landing” (across Lake Shore Drive from Buckingham Fountain) at 9:40 to meet more riders, and pause in Hyde Park for brunch before heading back. You can still eat at the Med (1327 East 57th Street) at 10:30 if you can’t ride. According to their website: “Boys are welcome, but this ride is all about the girls.” And you must wear a helmet. (various locations, 9 a.m., free)

Obey Leila S. Sales and go to the 1900s’ record release party (with Devin Davis and Gentleman Caller) at Schubas Tavern. The band is participating in The Onion A.V. Club’s “Justify Your Existence,” answering the question, “Why should anyone buy your record?” (3159 Southport Avenue, 10 p.m., $8)

Sunday, June 4

Visit a concrete-less Chicago this afternoon, on the Tour de Depaving. This bike ride treks through Chicago areas that have been converted from highways and streets to parks, trails, and other greenery. (Daley Plaza at Dearborn Street and Washington Avenue, 2 p.m., free)

Re-experience the frighteningly cheesy movies you used to watch in junior high at the Chicago Filmmakers’ “Odds and Ends: Exploring the Cinematic Junk Drawer.” A/V Geeks’ curator Skip Elsheimer programs the show from his library of 18,000 films. Whatever he chooses, this should be kitschy fun. (5243 North Clark Avenue, 7 p.m., $7 with student I.D.)

Don’t forget to grab your free fuel for finals at the Midnight Breakfast in Hutch!

After breakfast, head over to Berlin for Madonna-Rama. Couldn’t get tix for her upcoming Chicago shows? Yeah, we wanted to see her sing “Live to Tell” on a crucifix, too. Tonight’s theme—Lady M’s best live performances—should ease the pain. (954 West Belmont Avenue, 10 p.m.–4 a.m., 21+, free)

Monday, June 5

Check out Cougars, Just a Fire, and Catamount tonight at the Empty Bottle. (1035 North Western Avenue, 9:30 p.m., 21+, free)

Tuesday, June 6

The MCA kicks off its summer jazz series, Tuesdays on the Terrace, with Crosswind tonight. The museum’s admission is free Tuesday evenings, so check out the Warhol and Chris Ware exhibits while you have the chance. (220 East Chicago Avenue, 5:30 p.m., free)

Wednesday, June 7

Chicago favorites Quiet Kid play at Double Door tonight. Signed to upstart Chicago label Needledrop Records a year ago, the band brings an edgy intensity to their shows. They’re joined by Cromwell Street, Extra Blue Kind, and Braintree. (1572 North Milwaukee Avenue, 7:30 p.m., 21+, $5)

Thursday, June 8

Celebrate the release of a new CD by the awesomely named Jesus and the Devil at the Double Door. The band plays with My Big Beautiful, Low of the Low, and headliners the Quitters—who, according to the Double Door’s website, “are the greatest band in the world. Ask them, they’ll tell you.” (1572 North Milwaukee Avenue, 9 p.m., 21+, $7)

Have an event you’d like to see in STD?

E-mail steffers@uchicago.edu.