Winter All-Maroons

Top Team: Men’s Basketball

The squad beat the odds of competing as an undersized team in the rough-and-tumble UAA to finish at 20–6 with a share in the conference title. Led by conference coach of the year Mike McGrath, the squad turned up the heat after winter break to surprise the league and the division, overcoming setbacks from injuries to key players along the way.

Beat out: men’s swimming, women’s track

Men’s Basketball MVP: Nate Hainje

While the team made its first NCAA appearance in six years largely on the strength and leadership of its stellar senior class, the third-year forward gets the nod for playing like a fourth-year and bringing his defense to the next level. Hainje led the squad with 6.0 rpg to go along with a second-best 13.5 ppg. He also deserves credit for consistently throwing his entire six-foot-five frame against larger opponents.

Beat out: Brandon Woodhead

Women’s Basketball MVP: Korry Schwanz

An ace from beyond the arc and from the line (DIII–leading 93.2 percent), Schwanz brought much more to the floor than her spot-on accuracy. Under her calm veteran guidance, a young team recorded the program’s longest-ever winning streak at 16 games to open the season. While not a flashy player, Schwanz delivered each and every game.

Beat out: Nofi Mojidi

Women’s Track MVP: Myra Collins

Emerging as a force later in the season, the long jump specialist set the tone in field events as a consistent first-place finisher on a squad brimming with talent down the entire roster. She took gold at the UAAs with a 5.23m leap, joining three other Maroons at the top of the podium.

Beat out: Vidthya Abraham, Jackie Kropp

Men’s Track MVP: Bill Cheng

Toeing the line in the 55-meter dash, the first-year has been burning rubber since day one. He took top honors in the event all season, shaving seconds off his time almost every meet to go from a 6.65 to a season-best 6.49. He capped off a stellar indoor season by tearing tape in his event for the squad’s lone golden effort at UAAs.

Beat out: Seth Satterlee

Men’s Swimming MVP: 400-yard Medley Relay

Comprised of first-year Brian Young, fourth-year Pat Seastedt, second-year Alex Stabell, and fourth-year James Viccaro, the team clocked a 3:28.79 for second at UAAs and an NCAA provisional qualification. Their effort posted a new school record by five seconds and missed catching first by seven-hundredths of a second. It was the program’s best-ever performance at a UAA relay.

Beat out: Shane Carlson, Alex Stabell

Women’s Swimming MVP: Cassie O’Neill

O’Neill made waves in her rookie season with a run for a Nationals bid to wrap up a standout year. Leading the pack in the 100-yard and 200-yard breaststroke, she is the young squad’s most consistent top finisher and a sign that the best is yet to come for a steadily improving program competing in the incredibly strong UAA.

Beat out: Ellie McNeil

Wrestling MVP: Phil Kruzel

Dropping to a lighter weight class for his final season, the co-captain started strong and remained on top the entire year. An unconventional wrestler, he helped keep the squad afloat through its aches and pains to put it in position for a strong finish. Coming back from a first round loss at Nationals for All-American honors was a perfect ending to his season and career.

Beat out: Mike Bishof

Top Rookies:

Molly Hackney (basketball)

Thrust into a starting role, Hackney delivered big time for the Maroons. Her 43.5 shooting percentage and 9.3 ppg boosted the offense, but her real contributions came under her own basket with 6.2 rpg and a team-leading 1.7 blocks per game.

Beat out: Cassie O’Neill

Troy Carlson (wrestling)

Selected as the UAA Rookie of the Year, the 157-pounder finished the year with a 23–11 mark and a league individual title. He proved that he can handle high pressure when he  scored two pivotal matches at the league championships to put Chicago back on top of the conference.

Beat Out: Bill Cheng, Jake Pancratz