Clothes-minded—March 11, 2008

The Internet is an amazing thing. So is the fact that when my wireless connection is being flaky, I can feel the void immediately. I am disconnected and in need of updates from all my bookmarked locales. Just as in real life, my Internet life is made up of a high percentage of fashion. My daily reading includes a slew of apparel-focused sites that range from fashion news to celebrity style. There are so many accessible fashion sites that no matter what your online style, you’ll be able to find something to fit the bill. Keeping up on the latest runway shows, who’s collaborating with whom, which designer made Anne Hathaway’s Oscar gown, fabulous street styles—all of this can be browsed in the magical Internet fashion world. Here are some of my current online addictions.

Who What Wear Daily (www.whowhatweardaily.com)

This site, started by two fashion editors, is based in celebrity fashions and current trends and is updated every weekday (as the web address implies). With the tag line “We don’t care who you’re dating or if you eat. We only care about what you wear,” it’s clear that this is a style maven destination. While the posts are ever-evolving, some of the recurring ones include “What Was She Wearing” posts which answer readers’ questions about which designer made a certain item in a starlet’s outfit, “Inspired By,” which takes a current It piece and finds less expensive alternatives in the same style vein, and the newer “MySpace Muse,” which profiles the looks of inspired fashionistas found by surfing MySpace pages. WWWD has recently expanded with a television feature (WWWTV) featuring videos addressing styling issues, produced from their Who What Wear fashion closet and starring the founders of the site. A stop at WWWD will show you that it is a perfect spot to get your daily fashion fix.

The Sartorialist (www.thesartorialist.blogspot.com)

Made and maintained by a photography enthusiast and ex–showroom owner, The Sartorialist started with the purpose of sharing photos of fashionable people found on the streets of New York. The fashion photographs on the site sometimes include text about the person in the picture or why this certain look is particularly intriguing. Moving beyond Manhattan, the blog does not just contain images of stylish New Yorkers, but any chic dresser the Sartorialist comes across on his travels. (He now has connections to GQ and Style.com.) It’s not about specific designers or certain fads on The Sartorialist, but rather how the whole look is put together. From global trendsetters to the divinely polished, the Sartorialist has an eye for spotting the impeccably dressed. And lucky for us, we can all get a glimpse through his style-spotting lens on the site.

Style.com (www.style.com)

So you weren’t able to make it to the Lanvin show? Style.com (Vogue’s online counterpart) has got you covered. The fashion show coverage on this site is excellent. The shows are all documented in photographs look by look for those not able to score a ticket to the latest collection shows. To really feel like you were there, check out the video section. The short features include clips of the runway show, backstage scene, and inspiration for select collections from the site. Hundreds of images of extraordinary accoutrements can be found in the Accessories Report, where the shoes, jewelry, and bags are sectioned by designer. Style.com also has a look-book feature where you can save your favorite images from the site (and browse other users’ public look books). Explore a bit on the site and you will find pictures of celebrity events, street style (from The Sartorialist), beauty features, trend reports, and oodles of other fashion-related pieces. When you’re feeling a bit drab, take a trip to Style.com and refresh your fashion sight.

While I am a complete magazine devotee (something I suspect my mail carrier does not care for as she attempts to stuff my mailbox with my monthly subscriptions), I love being able to browse through websites that deliver fashion in so many ways. Both fast-moving and continually updated—when it comes to websites and fashion coverage, something just clicks.