STD (Stuff To Do)—10/02/09 to 10/08/09

Local markets, Rockefeller art, and Lil John with Whole Wheat Bread

Friday | October 2

» Stay classy this weekend, or tonight at least, at the Art Institute After Dark. Sip cocktails while you enjoy the museum’s newly opened contemporary and modern art exhibits. Along with gallery tours, the monthly event also features the indie bands He Say She Say and Moneypenny. (111 South Michigan Avenue, 6 p.m., $20)

» Relive those childhood memories of colorful public access television shows with Kansas City’s Whoop Dee Doo in a special appearance here in Hyde Park. The imitation variety kids show (think Zoom or a non-creepy Pee Wee’s Playhouse) features skits, singing, dancing, and lots of audience participation. Saxophonist and bagpipe player Honey Blo and all-ages dancers from the children’s show Chic-a-go-go will also be performing. Dancing shoes are highly recommended. (6100 South Blackstone Avenue, 5 p.m., free)

Saturday | October 3

» Avoid the perils of a ramen-only diet at the Bronzeville Community Market. Local vendors will be selling fresh fruits, meat, and wine among other delicious treats at a reasonable price. The community market will run every Saturday morning in October. If 44th and Cottage Grove is too far for you to trek, be sure to check out the 61st Street Farmers Market on 61st and Dorchester for all your fresh produce needs. (9 a.m., free)

» Ever wanted to know what a hoedown is exactly? The Chicago Country Music Festival will satisfy your curiosity. The two-day long festival in Grant Park will feature performances by Joe Pug, Lee Ann Womak, and Miranda Lambert along with other crooners singing about their trustworthy ’79 Dodge pickup. (Grant Park, 11 a.m., free)

Sunday | October 4

» Leaving the comfort of your bed may be the last thing you want to do while nursing a hangover Sunday morning, but your best cure may be to head over to Doc Film’s showing of summer blockbuster The Hangover. The hilarious escapades of three friends on a road trip to Las Vegas will have you forget all your woes in no time. (Max Palevsky Cinema, 1 p.m., $5)

» Contemporary dance artist Nora Chipaumire draws from her experiences as a child growing up during the Zimbabwe War of Liberation to raise questions of self-identification in her performances. Chipaurmire will be performing with fellow Zimbabwean Thomas Mapfumo and his band The Blacks Unlimited at the Museum of Contemporary Art. (220 East Chicago Avenue, 3 p.m., $10)

Monday | October 5

» For those who are strong enough to climb all 273 steps to the top of Rockefeller Chapel, you can now attend the daily Carillon Recital at the top of the tower. There is also a chance to meet the carillonneur before the performance. (Rockefeller Chapel, 12 p.m., free)

Tuesday | October 6

» In honor of Hispanic Heritage month, Doc Films will be showing the Spanish tearjerker El Norte. The film follows two siblings from war-embroiled Gautemala as they go to extreme lengths to cross the U.S.-Mexican border, only to become disillusioned in their quest to fulfill the American Dream. (Max Palevsky Cinema, 9 p.m., $5)

Wednesday | October 7

» Student night arrives again at Court as the theater continues its series of August Wilson’s century plays. Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom follows the mother of the blues as she struggles to record a new album on the South Side of Chicago. (Court Theatre, 7:30 p.m., $10)

» Because nothing screams national pride more than playing classical flute in an experimental ’80s rock band, Ian Anderson, the flautist of Jethro Tull, was appointed Member of the Order of the British Empire last year. The almost-royal Anderson will be performing a set of classic Jethro Tull songs accompanied on flute, harmonica, and everything else the eccentric musician plays. (3145 North Sheffield, 7:30 p.m., $69)

Thursday | October 8

» Lest you accuse them of being too much like Wonderbread, punk band Whole Wheat Bread has been collaborating with Lil Jon on his highly anticipated album Crunk Rock. Unfortunately, the King of Crunk will not be performing at Whole Wheat Bread’s show at the Subterranean Lounge. Instead, the Florida-based band will be appearing with the very unique mc chris and the Chicago-based I Fight Dragons. (2011 West North Avenue, 9:30 p.m., $12)