With narrow win at DePauw, Chicago seems ready for UAAs

The Maroons’ meet at DePauw went down to the wire, but the efforts of Chicago’s second string helped the team wrap up a victory over the 18th-ranked Tigers.

Women’s swimming and diving team defeated 18th-ranked host DePauw University 148.5–147.5 in their final dual meet competition Saturday.

The meet opened with the Maroons (7–4) notching a school record in the 200-yard medley relay as first-years Amanda Kim, Morgan McCarty, and Tara Levens and second-year Ellie Elgamal clocked a time of 1:51.90.

Elgamal led the way in both the 100- and 200-yard butterfly with respective times of 58.04 and 2:09.44. Her time in the former set a DePauw school record and earned her another NCAA D-III provisional-qualifying mark.

Levens took top honors in the 100- and 200-yard backstroke, with times of 1:00.98 and 2:12.29, respectively.

First-years Jacqueline Trudeau and Megan St. John notched other wins for the Maroons in the 200- and 500-yard freestyle; Trudeau led the 200 with a time of 1:59.50 and St. John led the 500 with a time of 5:17.10.

The Maroons were ahead throughout the entire meet, but their lead narrowed to a mere six points at the start of the 200-yard freestyle relay, bringing their overall victory into question.

Tensions were high as the Tigers finished first with Chicago’s A-team on their heels.

“I knew that if [DePauw] won and we got second and third, we would win the meet­—by a point,” head coach Jason Weber said.

The outcome was dependent on which school’s B-team would come in third.

A whole four seconds after the Maroons’ second place finish, Chicago’s second string anchor leg McCarty reached the edge of the pool, locking in the victory for the Maroons.

“The way we competed and stayed tough was great,” Weber said. “If we had sort of laxed off at the end of the meet, we wouldn’t have won.”

The win brought Chicago’s record to 5–1 against D-III schools.

“If we didn’t split the squad against Northwestern, we would be undefeated against schools in Division III,” Weber said, noting that the loss only affects the team’s national ranking.

Although Chicago is not ranked, the Maroons hold wins over 9th-ranked Wheaton College and 10th-ranked Wash U.

The Maroons have a break this weekend but will resume competition as hosts of the UAA Championships February 11 to 14.