Wrestling finishes 2–2 at Knox College Duals

The Maroons topped host Knox and Augustana this weekend but lost close contests with Wabash and Loras.

Wrestling split four matches Saturday, as the Maroons suffered several key losses en route to a 2–2 record at the Knox College Duals.

In the eight-team round robin tournament, Chicago was pooled with Knox, Wabash, and Loras for preliminary action. The Maroons opened the day with a 40–9 win over host Knox on the strength of three pinfalls. Eventual second-place finisher Loras then edged the South Siders 22–15 in the second match, with a pin in the heavyweight match to decide the contest.

“We lost three tight matches [against Loras], any of which could have won the meet for us,” head coach Leo Kocher said.

In the final match of the round robin section of the tournament, Wabash narrowly defeated Chicago 22–16.

The last contest of the day matched teams from each pool based on record in the round robin, and the Maroons were paired with Augustana. Two late pins by fourth-year Troy Carlson and third-year Ryan Hatten swung the match in Chicago’s favor, for a 25–13 victory.

“Our team balance right now is pretty good, in that we have competitive wrestlers in every weight class,” Kocher said, citing Carlson, red-shirt Spencer Burns, and first-year Jimmy Layton as key members of the team so far this season. “I think about 10 other guys have stepped up and wrestled crucial matches in dual meet wins for us, but we are losing some close crucial ones in our dual losses as well. Our goal has to be to win those close matches consistently.”

The Maroons return to action Saturday at the Elmhurst Invitational.