Track and Field Seeks to Build on Momentum

After producing an imperious performance in the Illinois Wesleyan Triangular, the Maroons’ track and field teams seek to emulate that success as they host the Windy City Invitational.

This Friday and Saturday, the Chicago Men’s and Women’s Track and Field teams will be hosting the Windy City Invitational. Last weekend, the women dominated the Illinois Wesleyan I-55 Triangular with a first-place finish while the men came in second.

Second-year Mary Martin reflects on the season thus far, “The women’s team has got off to a great start. We came into the season ranked seventh in the nation which I think reflects the strength in depth we have in our team across a lot of the events.” 

Fellow second-year Michelle Biesman echoes Martin’s sentiments, saying, “The season has started off well. Everyone is finding their groove and hitting their stride with competing. As more people get comfortable with competing, it’s exciting to see people reach their goals by dropping times or hitting new marks. Our coaches are really good about enforcing this idea—always look forward and focus on our strengths, not weaknesses. I really appreciate their positive approach and nature regarding performances.”

Ranked No. 7 in the nation, the Maroon women’s team is looking to push all the way to nationals. Before that, they will compete in conference championships in three weeks’ time. Martin added, “We have a real opportunity to win this year, but it is going to be a close competition. I think that as long as our team stays healthy and fit and we continue to perform like we have been, we stand a good shot at winning.” First-year Maddie DeVoe is looking forward to the rest of the season and elaborates on how the team is training to improve, saying, “We’re beginning to do harder workouts now that our mileage is higher and the meets are more competitive. Training and racing together is definitely the best and most enjoyable way to improve, and I’m excited for more growth throughout the rest of the season.”

The Windy City Invitational is one of three home meets the Maroons will be hosting this year. Biesman is looking forward to the home meet, saying, “This meet is our second of three home meets this indoor season. It’s always a blast competing at home—we’re familiar with the track and friends come to cheer and support. These competitive meets are great primers to get us ready for conference at the end of February. Nonetheless, the team support on and off the track, especially at competitive meets, contributes to everyone’s peak performances and overall morale. We’re headed in a great direction and our cohesive team and improving performances will ultimately lead us to our goal of winning conference.” 

The Maroons will kick off the weekend at 2:30 p.m. this Friday at Henry Crown Field House.