Track and Field Battle Cold Weather, Stay Hot in Performances

After the UAA Championships, the track and field team traveled to Iowa for Dr. Tucker Open in preparation for upcoming NCAA meets.

After last weekend’s UAA Championships, the UChicago track and field team traveled to Dubuque, Iowa for the Loras College Dr. Tucker Open. While the team was in good spirits after a pretty successful UAA Championships, the weather did not particularly help. Third-year sprinter Mary Martin described the meet as “cold and far.” However, she stated that the team tried to not let those factors affect their performance.  

Altogether, the Maroons were able to claim three titles throughout the meet. The most successful event was the women’s pole vault where UChicago finished first and second with third-year Isabel Garon in first at 3.50 meters and first-year Rachel TerHaar in second at 3.20 meters. Additionally, the men’s 5,000-meter also saw the Maroons finish first and second. Second-year Jack Barbour won with a time of 15:24.97, and first-year Max Hill finished only 0.2 seconds behind his fellow teammate. The most notable performance, at least to Mary Martin, was that of first-year Isabel Maletich. “We had some good performances at the meet, most notably Isabel Maletich, who triple jumped her way into nationals.” Maletich won with a massive total of 11.87 meters and appears to only be getting stronger throughout the season. In addition to the wins and the two 1–2 finishes, the Maroon women’s team had runner-up finishes in four different races. These were first-year Kaitlyn Van Baalen in the 800-meter (2:18.87), fourth-year Nicole VacaGuzman in the 400-meter (56.67), third-year Claire Brockway in the 1,500-meter (4:44.74), and second-year Ella Parker in the high jump (1.43 meters). These great performances, in less than ideal conditions, will provide an important base to work on for the rest of the season. The next meet for the Maroons is Thursday and Friday of this week at the North Central College Dr. Keeler Invitational. Good luck, Maroons!