Former Members of The Maroon Share Their Plans for After Graduation

Entering the workforce after the pandemic, four graduating members of The Maroon share their career and life plans.

As an unusual academic year winds to a close, graduating students are faced with a set of odd circumstances in planning what they’ll do after convocation. We caught up with four former members of The Maroon to see what their future plans hold. 

Emma Dyer, former Editor in Chief

I am doing a master of science program at UChicago in biomedical informatics, and I’m also working at the hospital for the section head of gastroenterology, David Rubin. I’ll be the clinical research coordinator, managing clinical trials, and keeping Rubin’s calendar and lab in order. I’ll be gaining experience and doing those things with the goal of applying to medical school. I’ll be here for two more years and hopefully matriculate to medical school in fall 2023. 

I’d planned to go to medical school since my freshman year, deciding not to go straight through independently of COVID. But, my decision to stay at UChicago was because the University started the Rudolph Scholarship, which provides an almost automatic $15k scholarship if you are a graduate of the class of 2021. It was the most competitive financial aid for a master’s program out of the eight schools that I got into. The scholarship would not have happened without COVID, so it’s definitely helping me get my education at a much more affordable price and not making me have to move across the country to find a competitive program. 

Tony Brooks, former News Editor

A few weeks ago, I submitted an application for the U.S. Navy Officer Candidate School. It took some time to get all the paperwork together; the application package needed test scores, recommendation letters, physicals, and a whole bunch of other paperwork before it was ready to send in. I think I started working on it in August. I’ve still got another few months in limbo before the Navy reviews all their applications and sends out acceptances and rejections. In the meantime, I’ll be working as an economics research assistant at Booth over the summer. With the rest of my free time, I’ll be going on some road trips to a few parks and national forests around the country before spending the better part of the next few years on a boat. There’s also a chance that they reject my application, but I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it. 

Darcy Kuang, former News Editor

This Fall, I will begin pursuing my J.D. at NYU Law. Becoming an attorney has been my dream since I was a child, so I am beyond excited to begin this journey. Since I came to America 8 years ago, I have only lived in the Midwest so I really look forward to exploring the East Coast as well. Being a part of The Maroon has been one of the best experiences I’ve had at UChicago and I am grateful for all the amazing, talented people I got to meet here in the past four years. Best of luck to everyone! 

Matthew Pinna, former Viewpoints columnist

I’m excited to accept, upon graduation, my commission into the United States Marine Corps. In between now and when I head over to Quantico for The Basic School (TBS), I’ll be working back home in New York for an AI startup that’ll help improve nonprofit fundraising and management. I’m also planning a sick road trip for my 21st birthday, so if anyone has suggestions, feel free to reach out. You can catch me cruising down 55th in my car, alternating between blasting Gucci Mane and Ariana Grande. 

I’d like to thank all my Viewpoints editors for the amazing work they’ve done this quarter, both for other contributors and myself. The Maroon’s pretty cool and I know you guys are all going to do great, even after my timeless words of wisdom no longer grace its pages.