News

Dean of Students in the College to retire after this school year

Though not yet officially announced, Dean of Students in the College Susan Art will retire from her position at the end of the 2013–2014 academic year.

According to Dean of the College John Boyer, Art privately stated her decision to retire to some University officials in the fall of 2013, but the campus-wide announcement was scheduled for the spring of this year.

“Last fall, my colleague and friend Susan Art let me know that she has decided to retire at the end of the current academic year, after 13 years of distinguished service,” Boyer said in an e-mail.

While the University placed a public job posting for the position of dean of students in the College on December 30, no reason was provided following inquires as to why the news of Art’s retirement was not announced to students.

“The College plans more communications in the spring quarter on Susan Art’s retirement and on the search for a new dean of students in the College,” University spokesperson Jeremy Manier said in an e-mail.

Art was not available for direct comment at the time of publication.

Boyer said of Art: “Susan has served our students and all of her colleagues with wisdom and imagination. She has always been available to her many friends and colleagues at the University to offer sound advice and empathy in equal measure. She will be missed, but we hope that she will remain close to the College and University for years to come.”

The Office of the Dean of Students manages the advising system for undergraduate students.

“The College has a comprehensive advising system for undergraduate students that is the envy of our peer institutions, and the success of our advising program is in large measure due to Susan Art’s gifts as a leader,” Boyer said.

In addition to advising, the office manages other support structures for students in the College, including Harper tutoring and scholarships advising.

Art will leave at the end of the academic year, June 14. According to Manier, “a search is ongoing, and students will be involved this spring in the process of interviewing candidates.”

• Good

Good bye and good riddance. Thanks for retiring. Less deadwood clogging up the administration.

• Good

Good bye and good riddance. Thank for retiring! Less deadwood in the administration. Time for a new and improved dean.

• richard

A sad day. I knew her when she was my daughter’s adviser– she was wonderful.