STD—November 21, 2008

The week before Thanksgiving, you can engage in scholarly debate about your cake and eat it too.

Friday / November 21

Rising cellist Johannes Moser is yet another example of the trend of incredibly good-looking yet incredibly talented classical musicians. The 29-year-old has been a fixture on the European festival stage since winning the 2002 Tchaikovsky competition. Moser will be performing a Beethoven sandwich at Mandel Hall, featuring music by Britten and Takemitsu bookended by Beethoven’s last two cello sonatas. (Mandel Hall, 7:30 p.m., $5)

Saturday / November 22

Eclectic band Camper Van Beethoven celebrates its 25th anniversary with a special performance at the Abbey Pub. Although the band started in Santa Cruz, CA, as a punk-rock group, it quickly grew out of the purist constraints of punk rock by incorporating countrified versions of hardcore songs into its set. Its show will feature a semi-reunion of the original band members as well as a performance of the band’s hit songs. (3420 West Grace Street, 8 p.m., $20)

The self-proclaimed Geek in the Pink will make nerd lovers swoon when he graces the Aragon Ballroom. Jason Mraz, a more upbeat and less annoying version of John Mayer, is on tour to promote his latest album We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things. (1106 West Lawrence Avenue, 7:30 p.m., $35)

Sunday / November 23

Storytelling for Adults is subtly different from its counterpart at the children’s section in the local library. The Tellabration! storytelling festival has been a Hyde Park fixture for 12 years and features a special adult story session with tales told by world-renowned storytellers. In another stark contrast, there will also be life-sized puppets to assist in telling these adult stories. (6100 South Blackstone Avenue, 7 p.m., $5 suggested donation)

Monday / November 24

The murder of German industrialist Hanns-Martin Schleyer by the leftist group RAF serves as the subject for the 1978 Germany in Autumn. The film uses documentary footage and news report–style narration to highlight the social and political atmosphere in Germany during this tumultuous time. (Max Palevsky Cinema, 7:30, $5)

Tuesday / November 25

While a debate over the merits of certain Jewish delicacies may not be the best means of downplaying the University’s reputation as the place “where fun comes to die,” the Latke-Hamantash debate returns for its 62nd year as strong as ever. Debaters this year include the dean of Rockefeller Chapel and professors Gary Tubb, Thomas Ginsburg, and Roy Weiss. (Mandel Hall, 7:30 p.m., free)

Jim Henson’s Labyrinth is a modern-day psychedelic Alice in Wonderland starring a young Jennifer Connelly as the heroine who must travel through the labyrinth to save her baby brother from the grasps of Goblin King David Bowie. The film gets a little creepy when Bowie asks Connelly to stay on as his bride but is otherwise a clever use of live actors and Henson’s signature puppets. (164 North State Street, 8:15 p.m., $7)

Wednesday / November 26

Chicago-based Flosstradamus, consisting of DJs J2K and Autobot, brings its set to Metro. The duo has performed at South by Southwest, the Download Festival and the Dillo Day concert at Northwestern. Flosstradamus is prominent in the current Chicago music scene along with the Cool Kids and A-Trak. (3730 North Clark, 7 p.m., $16)

Mozart’s opera The Magic Flute is brought to the silver screen in Ingmar Bergman’s adaptation. The story of the Queen of the Night, Tamino and Pamina is merged with a live audience’s experiences in Bergman’s acclaimed film. (Max Palevsky Cinema, 9:45 p.m., $5)

Thursday / November 27

The Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade in New York may have Stewie from Family Guy and Charlie Brown, but the McDonald’s Thanksgiving Parade down State Street has the Muppets, Big Bird, and Cookie Monster. Of course, in typical consumer fashion, Thanksgiving signals the start of the holiday season, so expect to see Santa Claus parading as well. (South State Street from East Congress Street to East Randolph Street, 8:30 a.m., free)

The European village that is the Chriskindlmarket downtown opens for a preview on Thanksgiving. A German tradition that has been revitalized in Chicago, the event will allow guests to socialize with the Christmas Fairy as well as peruse the many stands offering German goods. (Daley Plaza, 11 a.m., free)

Have an event you’d like to see in STD? E-mail christineyang@uchicago.edu.