Third man charged in Cisse murder

A third suspect was charged with murder last Friday in connection to the November slaying of U of C graduate student Amadou Cisse.

Jamal Bracey, 17, of the 6100 block of South Damen Avenue, was charged with first-degree murder for his alleged role in Cisse’s death, Chicago Police Department (CPD) news affairs officer Marcel Bright said. Police arrested Bracey on January 23.

Cisse, a 28-year-old chemistry student from Senegal, was shot at 1:30 a.m. on November 19 in front of his apartment on the 6100 block of South Ellis Avenue during an attempted robbery, CPD authorities said.

Bracey was also charged with three counts of attempted robbery and one count of aggravated discharge of a firearm, although he was not charged with being the shooter, Bright said.

Police have not said which, if any, of the suspects was the gunman.

Bracey also faces charges of burglarizing a southeast Chicago residence, where he allegedly stole the gun used in the homicide, the Chicago Tribune reported.

Eric Walker, 16, and Benjamin Williams, 21, were also charged with first-degree murder. Both men appeared in court last Thursday, as Walker reported for a status hearing and Williams entered a plea. Walker pleaded not guilty on January 11. State attorneys were unavailable to comment by press time.

Demetrius Warren, 17, also faces charges in connection with the November 19 incidents but has not been charged with murder. He also pleaded not guilty on January 11.

Police are still investigating, but may soon close the case, Bright said.