News in brief: Post-finals week edition

Some headlines you may have missed while you were pulling all-nighters at the Reg.

Here are some headlines you might have missed while pulling those all-nighters at the Reg.

Village Foods demolition begins

Last Monday, construction crews began demolishing the former site of Village Foods, located at East 51st Street and South Hyde Park Boulevard. This will make way for City Hyde Park, a $114 million development project. When completed in 2015, the 20-story complex will house a Whole Foods, as well as other retail businesses. In addition, it will include 182 apartments, with 20 percent set aside as affordable housing.

According to DNAinfo Chicago, the building will receive $11.3 million in TIF funds from the city, expected to be approved by the city council in January. TIF, which stands for tax increment financing, sets aside money intended to incentivize economic development in areas which the city considers underserved. If the City Council approves the funds, the project is projected to open in 2015.

The building is being designed by architect Jeanne Gang, who is also designing the forthcoming Campus North residence hall.

Molecular Engineering minor to be offered in fall 2014

Beginning next year, undergraduates will be able to minor in molecular engineering, University officials announced Thursday. According to a press release, the Institute of Molecular Engineering is ready to begin offering the first course in the program, Introduction to Emerging Technologies, in the fall of 2014.

The course, taught by Institute director Matthew Tirrell, will “examine emerging research and technology development topics such as stem cells in regenerative medicine, quantum computing, water purification and new types of batteries.”

The Institute will continue to develop more courses and aims to propose an undergraduate major sometime during the 2014–15 academic year. It has already begun selecting applicants for a Ph.D. program and hired four new faculty members last month.

“We’re really trying to do something that transcends traditional engineering disciplines. You might call it a liberal arts approach to engineering education. We will introduce students to a new way of thinking about technology innovation,” Tirrell said in the release.

Follow the Maroon at chicagomaroon.com for updates throughout winter break, and follow us on Twitter: @chicagomaroon and @maroon_news.