South Siders to tackle final home weekend

No. 16 women’s soccer takes on NYU and Brandeis in their last UAA home weekend doubleheader.

This weekend, the South Siders (11–3–1, 2–1–1 UAA) are looking to get back on track after a tough loss last weekend against No. 7 Wheaton. The No. 16 Maroons will play UAA opponents NYU and Brandeis on Friday and Sunday at home.

The players recognize that NYU (10–4–1, 2–1–1) and Brandeis (11–3–1, 1–2–1) are both strong programs and that they will have to be on their game this weekend.

“Our games against Brandeis and NYU will be good ones, as conference games are always tough,” said fourth-year forward Meghan Derken.

“Every team in the UAA is good, and every game is a battle, so we can’t take anything lightly,” said first-year midfielder Whitley Cargile. “It’s important that we win these two [games] to secure a spot in the tournament.”

The Maroons look forward to recovering from last weekend’s loss and feel confident going into the weekend after having had a strong week of practice.

“We played pretty well against Wheaton—it didn’t feel like it should have been a 3–0 loss,” Derken said. “We failed to score and broke down a few times defensively, and when you play a team as good as Wheaton, they will take advantage of your mistakes. Because of that, we’ve been focusing on shooting and competing one-v[ersus]-one this last week to prepare us for this weekend.”

Having Senior Day on Sunday adds even more excitement, as the underclassmen look forward to honoring their six fourth-years:

Goalkeepers Mallory Morse and Jacinda Reid, defender Katie Shivanandan, midfielders Sara Kwan and Katharine

Hedlun and Derken.

Fourth-year captains Shivanandan and Kwan both earned WAA Athletes of the Week this past week in recognition for their efforts in leading such a young squad, which includes 10 first-years, to a successful season.

“All the seniors have been really great role models for the whole team,” Cargile said. “They push us in practice and keep the team united off the field, which has been important all season. It’d be great to get a win on Sunday and honor all the work they’ve done for us.”

Additionally, optimism is on the side of the Maroons.

“I think the energy from these being our last home games for the season will definitely give us a leg up, especially on senior day on Sunday,” Derken said.

The Maroons will play NYU on Friday at 6 p.m., and Brandeis on Sunday at 1:30 p.m.