Southside Hub of Production seeks to create allied UChicago RSO

SHoP is described as “a project to provide a space for the creative soul and heart of people that live in and love the South Side of Chicago.”

The Southside Hub of Production, a neighborhood arts space that encourages the exchange of ideas and the preservation of local arts and culture, has recently reopened on 57th Street and Blackstone Avenue.

According to Artistic Coordinator Candice Ralph (AB ’13), the Southside Hub of Production (SHoP), founded in 2011,  is “a project to provide a space for the creative soul and heart of people that live in and love the South Side of Chicago.”

The organization closed its original space in Fenn House on East 56th Street and South Woodlawn Avenue in December 2012 after the First Unitarian Church, which owns the mansion, decided not to renew SHoP’s lease; the First Unitarian Church was approached by a buyer for the property.

SHoP hosts a variety of arts and cultural events, including art exhibitions, writers’ circles, open mic nights, and yoga classes. It recently organized an art exhibit, curated by artist Jorge Lucero, that displayed public submissions regarding the Barack Obama presidential library.

The organization is also looking to get more University students involved in the project, with potential to create an allied RSO on campus.

“An RSO representing students who are interested in social engagement and local culture would be mutually beneficial to both students and SHoP members in many ways,” co-founder Laura Shaeffer said.

As an RSO, SHoP would attempt to integrate the South Side and UChicago communities by bringing students out of the University and into an arts space that promotes cultural activity.