the Sketch

Arts, briefly.

UT/TAPS & UChicago Maya present Kaleidoscope

This weekend, UChicago Maya, campus’s Eastern and Western fusion dance group, and University Theater will unite to bring you a psychedelic eight-part meditation on the theme of kaleidoscopes. Through dance, these performers will explore the ideas of refraction, repetition, and endless shifts. The performance runs 75 minutes with a 10-minute intermission.

Friday, January 15, 7:30 p.m. and Saturday, January 16, 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., Logan Center for the Arts, Theater West. Tickets $6 advance, $8 at the door. Tickets sold via the Logan Center box office by phone at 773.702.ARTS, online at tickets.uchicago.edu, or in person.

Logan Cabaret Series

Catch the first cabaret of the quarter tonight in Logan, featuring acts by Benjamin Giber, Ambrose Lu, Daniele Becker, Ken Leng, Ilan Haskel, Roux Nemaei, and Ayling Dominguez. Sit back, relax, and absorb an evening of spoken word poetry, dance, guitar, and more.

Friday, January 15, 8 p.m., Logan Center for the Arts. Free admission.

UChicago CUSA presents International Affairs

A play off of the Hong Kong crime thriller Infernal Affairs (later adapted in the U.S. as The Departed), the Chinese Undergraduate Students Association’s (CUSA) 2016 cultural show takes the streets of Kowloon to the stage. Join CUSA for dinner in Hutchinson Commons at 6 p.m. before witnessing an undercover cop infiltrate a threatening syndicate at the 7 p.m. performance in Mandel Hall.

Saturday, January 16, 6 p.m., Hutchinson Commons. Tickets $8 in advance, $10 at the door.

Pacifica Quartet plays Schnittke, Shostakovich, and Mendelssohn

In their penultimate concert as the University’s Don Michael Randel Ensemble-in-Residence, the Pacifica Quartet presents a program of favorites gleaned from the group’s extensive discography. Schnittke’s Quartet No. 3 opens the program, followed by Shostakovich’s Quartet No. 13 in B-flat minor and Mendelssohn’s Quartet in E minor.

Sunday, January 17, 3 p.m., Mandel Hall. Tickets $5 students, $30 general admission. Tickets sold via the Logan Center box office by phone at 773.702.ARTS, online at tickets.uchicago.edu, or in person.

Party at the Smart: Radioactive

EDM, neon tees, and radioactive cupcakes—not your typical Party at the Smart. This Thursday, check out the Smart’s “DarkRoom” photobooth, illuminate your way through the galleries flashlight in hand, and dance the dark away while the -5 degree wind whips outside. Students only!

Thursday, January 21, 8–10 p.m., Smart Museum of Art. Free admission.