the Sketch

Arts, briefly.

Theater [24]

University Theater/Theater and Performance Studies (UT/TAPS) is back for its spring installment of the theatrical marathon known as Theater [24], where participants will write and direct an entire play in less than 24 hours. For the six teams of students—writers, directors, designers, and actors—the clock starts at 8 p.m. tonight. Ready or not, these groups will take the stage tomorrow night to perform fleeting works of inspiration—never before seen and never to be repeated.

Saturday, April 2, Francis X. Kinahan Theater, Reynolds Club, 8 p.m., $4 online or at the door

Off-Off Campus and Occam’s Razor in Hilarity for Charity

Campus improv troupes Off-Off Campus and Occam’s Razor are joining forces to put on Hilarity for Charity, a nationwide one-night comedy bonanza. A portion of ticket sales will go toward Alzheimer’s research through the Alzheimer’s Association, and the school that raises the most money will be blessed with a visit from Seth Rogen, who founded the event. You can donate at https://www.crowdrise.com/offoffcampus.

Friday, April 1, The Revival, 7 p.m.

Nato Thompson “Seeing Power: Art and Activism in the 21st Century”

Hosted by UChicago Careers in Journalism, Arts, and Media (UCIJAM), the Department of Visual Arts (DoVA), UChicago Arts, and the Seminary Co-op, this lecture will explore the role of contemporary art at the intersection of art and politics. Lecturer Nato Thompson, of Mass MOCA and Creative Time, will lead this discussion on the topic of his most recent book, published this past August.

Saturday, April 2, Logan Penthouse, 6–7:30 p.m., free.

Le Vorris & Vox Circus and University Theater Present: The Monkey King

The central figure of the 16th-century Chinese novel Journey to the West, the Monkey King is a mischievous monkey with magic powers who defies heaven. Adapted and directed by Andrew Mao, The Monkey King intertwines both the original folktale and a new story of a young girl who is adopted from China and brought to America. A collaboration between Le Vorris & Vox Circus and University Theater, the show features acrobatics, aerials acts, dance, taiko drumming, and more.

Thursday, April 7, 7:30 p.m.; Friday, April 8, 7:30 p.m.; Saturday, April 9, 7:30 p.m., Logan Center, Theater West 115, $6 in advance and $8 at the door.

Pilsen’s Second Fridays in April

The work of over 30 Chicago and non-Chicago–based artists will be available to view at galleries and art studios in Pilsen. The Chicago Arts District hosts this monthly event as a way to enable arts enthusiasts and Chicago residents alike to get a “behind the scenes” look at art and artists.

Friday, April 8, Halsted and 18th Streets, 6–10 p.m., free.

Arts & Innovation Series: The Business of Show Business

The Logan Center and the Chicago Innovation Exchange present the latest installment of the Arts & Innovation Series: a panel discussion titled “What the Business Community Can Learn from the Theater Community.” Frank Sennett, the director of digital strategy and custom media at Crain’s Chicago Business, is slated to moderate the discussion. Panelists include David Schmitz (Steppenwolf Theatre), Erica Daniels and Kerry Sheehan (The Second City), and Les Coney (Goodman Theatre).

Thursday, April 7, Logan Center, Performance Penthouse, 5:30–7 p.m., free, but RSVP here:  https://www.eventbrite.com/e/what-the-business-community-can-learn-from-the-theater-community-tickets-21463399606.

Teatrocinema (ArtsPass Exclusive)

This play at the Museum of Contemporary Art (MCA) Chicago explores the very thin line (or lack thereof) between reason and madness—a theme with which UChicago students are all too familiar. Based on the novel Historia de Amor by French author Régis Jauffret, the play features 2-D and 3-D video projection, and the performance will also include a talk after the show with UChicago alumna and Associate Director of Performance Programs at the MCA Chicago, Yolanda Cesta Cursach.

Friday, April 8, MCA Chicago, 7:30 p.m., $15 with UCID. Transportation included, bus leaves the Logan Center at 6:45 p.m.

Yeezy Season: Kanye West at Logan Center

We remember it as though it was yesterday: May 11, 2015, the day Kanye’s surprise cameo at the Logan Center set Overheard ablaze and sent many a frantic student scrambling to Logan. If your heart was broken last spring, fear not: an insider has told The Maroon that Kanye returns to Logan tonight at 9:30 p.m. The source hinted at the possibility of new material from Kanye’s upcoming record, Turbo Grafx 16, set for release this summer. Last year’s surprise performance was hosted by Chance the Rapper and featured Vic Mensa, so it doesn’t seem too far-fetched to expect ’Ye to bring friends—the insider mentioned that Gucci Mane, with whom Kanye has never collaborated before, was released on parole just in time for the gig.

(Did we mention it’s April Fool’s Day?)