the Sketch

arts, briefly.

Chamber Music Organization Spring Showcase

Student chamber music groups from across campus will be showcasing their talents at the CMO’s Spring Showcase. Featuring works by such composers as Beethoven, Rachmaninoff, and Scriabin, student trios, quartets, and duets will perform the pieces they’ve been rehearsing throughout the quarter. Come for an evening of relaxing music and dinner from The Med.

Friday, May 13, Logan Performance Penthouse, 7–9 p.m., free.

Chicago Swing Dance Society: Disney Swing

Come relive your childhood this Saturday at the Chicago Swing Dance Society’s last java jive of the quarter: Disney Swing! Come ready to dance to classic Disney jazz songs like “The Bare Necessities” and “You’ve Got A Friend In Me,” but also songs from—yes—High School Musical and Hannah Montana! There will be a beginner East Coast Swing lesson from 7:30 to 8:30, followed by open dancing until 11 p.m.

Saturday, May 14, Ida Noyes Hall, 7:30–11 p.m., free.

University of Chicago Chamber Orchestra

The UChicago Chamber Orchestra will perform its final concert of the quarter on Saturday night, featuring the “Ritual Fire Dance” from El Amor Bruja by Manuel de Falla, Mozart’s Symphony No. 31 in D Major, and Beethoven’s  Piano Concerto No. 5 in E-flat Major. The piano soloist featured is third-year Sun Woo Park, who took second place in the 2016 UChicago Concerto Competition.

Saturday, May 14, Logan Performance Hall, 8 p.m., free.

The University of Chicago Wind Ensemble Presents: Dreams

On Sunday, conductor Chip De Stefano will lead the University Wind Ensemble in its final concert of the year with pieces by Jenkins, Boysen Jr., and Jacob. The ensemble features a piece by fourth-year De’Andre Warren, and one with guest soloist Matt Olson. If Summer Breeze was too hot to handle, chill out and realize your dreams at the UWE’s 2015–16 finale.

Sunday, May 15, Logan Performance Hall, 4 p.m., free.

Peter and the Wolf, on the Carillon!

After a mostly rainy (and, at one point, aggressively foggy) week, the sun will finally be out on Sunday. What better way to bask in the newfound sunlight than via picnic on Rockefeller Chapel’s lawn, with world carillon master Geert d’Hollander playing his own arrangement of Prokofiev’s Peter and the Wolf?

Sunday, May 15, Rockefeller Chapel, 5 p.m., free.

A Very Good Jazz Concert

With 17 performers plus one band manager, this unnamed conglomerate of musicians is UChicago’s premier big band. Sunday’s concert, as they promise, will be “Very Good”—and is their reaction to MAB’s refusal to have a big band jazz headliner at Summer Breeze.

Sunday, May 15, Logan Performance Penthouse, 7 p.m., free.

University of Chicago Women’s Ensemble Spring Concert

UChicago’s Women’s Ensemble will be having its penultimate show of the quarter this Sunday in Rockefeller Chapel. The set list spans centuries and continents, with songs from the 13th and 20th centuries and pieces from South Africa and Indonesia.

Sunday, May 15, Rockefeller Chapel, 7:30 p.m., free.