Blackstone, Maclean, Broadview to Become Apartments

The apartment buildings will open this fall and are now taking reservations.

Three current University dorms will be made into apartments in the Hyde Park area starting next academic year. According to Hyde Park Places, a neighborhood residential community, the University of Chicago will sell the three closing dormitories—Blackstone Hall, Maclean Hall, and Broadview Hall—in the coming weeks, and the apartments will open in the fall.

Construction of Campus North Residential Commons was announced in July 2013, and the new dormitory building is expected to open in September. According to an announcement made by College Housing in April 2015, four residential halls, including Blackstone, Broadview, and Maclean, would no longer house College students. The decision was made because the University is looking to “[strengthen] the Resident Master model and [house] more College students closer to campus.” College Housing stated at the time that Blackstone, Broadview, and Maclean would be sold. Breckinridge Hall, the final closing dormitory, will remain part of the University portfolio in a manner that is not yet determined.

The University will sell the three dormitories to Hyde Park Places, which offers private and shared apartments in the neighborhood. According to Hyde Park Places, the three buildings will be refurbished and remain open during school breaks.

The three apartment buildings are now taking reservations for the 2016–17 academic year.