Lab Schools Director Resigns

Robin Appleby will step down on June 30. Vice President at Lab Beth A. Harris will serve as the interim director, while a search is conducted over the summer.

Director of the Lab Schools Robin Appleby announced her resignation, effective June 30, in a May 25 letter to the school community.  

A search for a new director will begin on July 1. Vice President and General Counsel at Lab Beth A. Harris will serve as the interim director. 

“We have been engaged in the complex and satisfying work of completing the final stages of the Lab+ strategic plan, fostering the growth of the Schools, signing a new 4-year contract with Lab’s Faculty Association, building new programs and partnerships, and achieving full ISACS re-accreditation,” Appleby wrote in her letter. “The time is right for me to step away to focus on my family and pursue other professional opportunities aligned with our global interests.” 

The Lab+ fundraising campaign, which ended in December 2013, raised more than $80 million for investment in campus buildings—including the construction of Earl Shapiro Hall, renovations to Blaine Hall, Judd Hall, Gordon Parks Arts Hall—as well as support for an early childhood center, student aid, and professional development. The expansion will allow Lab to enroll around 300 additional students by 2022.  

University spokesperson Jeremy Manier said in a statement, “[Appleby] has made many contributions to the Lab over the last two years and is looking forward to pursuing a new chapter in what already has been a distinguished career.”  

Prior to taking the director position at the Lab Schools, Appleby oversaw four campuses of the Global Education Management Systems American Academies, located in Dubai, Egypt, Switzerland and Uganda, with a total of around 5,000 enrolled students. Appleby served as director for two years, replacing David Magill.  

The director oversees both grade three through grade 12 on the Historic Campus and preschool through grade two on the Early Childhood Campus.