Newsletter for April 11

Alum wins a Pulitzer; Frats re-sign FCS; and the Shady Dealer strikes again

Subscribe

Good morning. It's third week—three days left to add/drop classes.

Congratulations to Tyehimba Jess (A.B. ’91), who won the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry yesterday for his book Olio. Also, Maroon alum Julia Angwin (A.B. ’92), along with her team at ProPublica, was a finalist in the Explanatory Reporting category.

Frats re-sign sexual assault prevention policy: All 10 fraternities re-signed Fraternities Committed to Safety, a policy for sexual assault prevention. Fraternities have to be invited to re-sign each quarter by a majority vote of the other fraternity presidents.

Phoenix Survivors Alliance (PSA) challenged fraternities’ compliance with the policy at the re-signing meeting on Sunday. PSA has been attending fraternity parties and reporting alleged violations to the policy—things like unattended drinks and insufficient water coolers. Read their list of allegations here.

Shooting in East Hyde Park: An 18-year-old was shot and wounded Sunday night while sitting in the backseat of a car driving on the 5500 block of South Hyde Park Boulevard, the Hyde Park Herald reports.

Mixed feelings about development and change in Woodlawn: Greg Ross talks to Woodlawn residents about the Obama library–related developments in their neighborhood. Many are skeptical of whether a new nonprofit (backed by the Obama Foundation, the City, and the University) will be fully devoted to community interests.

New plan for Co-Op: The Seminary Co-Op will hold a town hall meeting for shareholders at 6 p.m. Thursday to discuss proposals to restructure the cooperative model, DNAInfo reports. Sales went up last year, but the bookstore is still running a deficit, and the director is proposing removing voting rights from most of the Co-Op’s members or turning the store into a nonprofit.

——

IN VIEWPOINTS

Cole Martin writes in:

Co-opting the American Homosexual: In response to the recently released Campus Climate Survey’s evidence of rampant Islamophobia on campus, columnist Jake Eberts extends his focus nationally and investigates how the GOP uses Islamophobic rhetoric to appeal to LGBTQ+ voters.

Theories of the Past Still Have Relevance Today: Contributor Luke Fidler contends that columnist Dylan Stafford’s position on the Core unfairly dismisses the possibility that thinkers of the past can shed light on contemporary dilemmas.

——

IN ARTS

Grace Hauck writes in:

This year’s OLAS show, “Un Pueblo Unido” (A People United), didn’t shy away from the political in its exploration of cultural pride through food, dance, art, and poetry.

The Maroon sat down with campus photographers Luke White and Chris D’Angelo to talk about their work and what they’re doing next.

Provocative seems to be the theme for this week’s events. From activist-artist Ai Weiwei at the Museum of Contemporary Art to a fire-spinning workshop with the circus, check out what’s coming up in this week’s Exhibit [A]rts.

——

IN SPORTS

Emmett Rosenbaum writes in:

Track & Field: UChicago had a great showing at the Wheaton Invitational over the weekend, placing second out of 10 teams.

Softball: The Maroons took three games out of a four-game set against rival Wash U at Stagg Field.

Baseball: The team had a pair of double-headers at home against Finlandia, taking three of four games to continue its recent success.

Men’s Tennis: The No. 5 team traveled to Wisconsin to beat No. 31 Gustavus Adolphus handily.

Women’s Tennis: The No. 8 squad edged Wash U to take the Midwest Invitational in Madison, WI.

——

CHICAGO LETTERS

In The Gate: A rundown of the candidates in two upcoming races: one for the presidency of France, and the other for Montana’s newly vacant House seat.

…and The Chicago Shady Dealer asks once again, “Dude, what the hell are you wearing?”

——

OTHER HEADLINES