Newsletter for January 2

New ED sees ~200 patients on first day; trauma center meetings should’ve been public; Harper Court fully leased

Subscribe to the Maroon Newsletter

Good morning. Welcome to first week.

The University’s new emergency department opened Friday morning, taking in nearly 200 patients in the first 24 hours.

Stephen Albert, executive director of the Court Theatre, died Friday night. The theater had announced in November that Albert would step down from his position at the start of the 2018–19 theater season and return to his company AlbertHall&Associates. 

— His daughter, Jessica Albert, told the Tribune: “I watched him take hold of a regional theater that had not been very connected to its community…. He went to a different church every week to meet people. He wanted to share his passion and his love with everyone. 

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Trauma center meetings should have been public: The Illinois attorney general’s office has found that Illinois Department of Public Health committee meetings, which were held in private when UChicago’s trauma center project was reviewed, should have been public. Crain’s health care journalist Kirsten Schorsch, who’s been covering developments with this project, reported the news in an op-ed last week.

New professorship: Anthropology professor John Kelly has been named the the inaugural Christian W. Mackauer Professor. The new professorship in the College and in the Division of Social Sciences is supported by a $3.5 million dollar donation from chairman of the Redbud Foundation Glenn Swogger Jr. (A.B. ’57).

After more than four years, the University says Harper Court on 53rd Street is now fully leased, following the opening of Vanille Patisserie.

Seventeen faculty members were appointed to named or distinguished service professorships.

Some CPS teachers and college and high school students will have the chance to research cancer as part of a new summer program run by the University that aims to encourage those underrepresented in science to pursue careers in the field.

Marcus Raskin (A.B. ’54, J.D. ’57), 83, founder of the influential think tank the Institute for Policy Studies, passed away on December 24. Known as a liberal intellectual critic, Raskin reportedly connected the man who provided him with excerpts of the Pentagon Papers to New York Times journalist Neil Sheehan, who would later write a Pulitzer Prize–winning series of articles on the subject. Raskin was also known as a child piano prodigy, giving piano lessons in college to contemporary classical composer Philip Glass (A.B. ’56).

Subscribe at chicagomaroon.com/newsletter. Feedback via e-mail.