Treasure Island Closing Early Next Month

Starting Monday, everything in the store will be on sale.
-

Treasure Island’s Hyde Park location will close later this month, on October 12. The grocery store has been a Hyde Park staple for years, offering fresh food and a 10% student discount.

Starting this Monday, everything in the store will be on sale.

One employee at the store said that all the Treasure Island locations will be closing. Treasure Island’s corporate office could not be reached for comment. 

Employees said that some of the staff are expected to stay on, but one employee who spoke to The Maroon thinks it won’t be many. 

A manager at Treasure Island declined to give comment, deferring to the corporate office.

Update 1:40 p.m.: A representative from the Streeterville Treasure Island confirmed over the phone that all six remaining locations will close on October 12. The Treasure Island in Lincoln Park closed earlier this month.

Update 2:50 p.m.: Derek Douglas, Vice President for Civic Engagement and External Affairs, said in an e-mail to a Hyde Park resident that the University, which owns the lot on 55th and Lake Park Avenue, hasn’t found a replacement for Treasure Island yet. “We just got notice last night that the company is going out of business,” he wrote. Douglas says the University plans to work alongside the Alderman’s office to find a new vendor for the space.

Correction Oct 1, 7:47 a.m.: The article initially states that all stock would be 50% off, starting on October 1. This was incorrect. Items in the store are between 10 and 40% discounted. Individual aisles and shelves are marked with sales prices.